login

Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 90533 times)

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2009, 06:44:39 AM »
yeah i'm glad to be working in my shitty $10+/hour grocery job, at least i have benefits, more or less regular hours and raises...i would recommend grocery as being one of the better "shitty retail jobs" available :P

Unless it's Walmart. I'm working in the grocery section, but my hours are far from regular (worked till 11 last night and I'm about to go back in at 9am) and I'm making less than $10/hr. Oh, and no benefits, since I'm not working full-time (just under the line, though).

Offline FLOCK of RABID SHEEP?!?!

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2009, 09:11:03 PM »
yeah i work in the bakery/deli departments and mostly just work 10-7 and unions are good...if its less than 10 hours between shifts then i get overtime pay :) and sorry to hear that RVR, wish i could help :(

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3005
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 09:24:19 PM »
sorry to hear that RVR, wish i could help :(
Thanks, but I'd decline yours, and any offerings just because I won't burden anyone with my financial burdens..

The wife just needs to bring home those profits from south of the border A S A P!!
..And I've already discussed my options with my financial adviser with regards to withdrawing from my IRA but that's the very last option I hope Not to explore :-[

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 11:23:59 AM »
Everyone perk up! Helicopter Ben Bernanke has just declared the recession over! Hooray!

Move along. No recession to see here.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9928
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
Cengage Learning
Industry: Publishing
Number of positions: 100
Sample job titles: Sales representative, writer and editor, account manager
Location: California, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, New York, Massachusetts

A friend of mine is an editor there, you can see her name as the author (really the editor) of all sorts of books (especially humanities survey type books)

And I now have an interview there next week. :)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2009, 11:30:48 AM »
Everyone perk up! Helicopter Ben Bernanke has just declared the recession over! Hooray!

Move along. No recession to see here.
Yeah the Timing is Impeccable ::)

Offline FLOCK of RABID SHEEP?!?!

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2009, 11:48:05 AM »
Thanks, but I'd decline yours, and any offerings just because I won't burden anyone with my financial burdens..

The wife just needs to bring home those profits from south of the border A S A P!!
..And I've already discussed my options with my financial adviser with regards to withdrawing from my IRA but that's the very last option I hope Not to explore :-[

well i was more talking about being a strong arm man to help get your money back ;) no one messes with don rvr without getting something broken! :P

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2009, 11:50:40 AM »

well i was more talking about being a strong arm man to help get your money back ;) no one messes with don rvr without getting something broken! :P
Ah.. Noted :o
Yea, so far the customers are paying regularly (in payments) so we've been holding steady, but Thanks!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2009, 04:42:20 PM »
Looks like B of A could be Next to Fall..

From our local news in Charlotte..
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Bank of America is backed into a corner, and spending some serious cash to get out.

Right now, Charlotte's biggest bank is in legal trouble with the SEC, and the Attorneys General of North Carolina and New York.

The Charlotte Observer reports B of A is under investigation by the FBI and the Department of Justice.

And the House Oversight Committee is about to call the banks top execs to testify.

And right there in the middle of it all - The Bull - the purchase of Merrill Lynch, and the companies billion dollar losses and billion dollar executive bonuses.

Now, it's beginning to sound like the bank's hoping a little political grease can help wriggle them out of this jam.

Bank of America has hired a high-priced lobbyist to try to diffuse the Congressional investigation tied to the Merrill takeover.

Tony Podesta is one of the most influential people in Washington, according to Newsweek, The Financial Times and The Wall Street Journal, and according to the WSJ, he's already been in touch with the head of the House Committee going after BofA.

His web site claims he helps to "change outcomes" in D.C...that he's "adept at everything from policymaking to political maneuvering," and now he's on Ken Lewis' payroll.

(WBTV, by the way, had an interview with Podesta, but he hung up on us twice.)

Example number two - in a total turn-about - Bank of America has decided to pay the government $425 million for an insurance policy it never used; essentially, a loss-sharing pact made during the Merrill Lynch purchase.

BofA told the government it didn't need the agreement anymore, but Uncle Sam said the bank would have to pay to throw it away.

At first, BofA balked at the price tag, but the Fed claimed BofA benefited from implied protection. Long story short: BofA suddenly stopped arguing, and wrote Uncle Sam a very big check.

More trouble for Bank of America

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Charlotte-based Bank of America is facing a barrage of bad news for in the form of a $425 million pay out, its shrinking board of directors and possible criminal charges.

Bank of America will pay the government $425 million dollars for what is essentially an insurance policy to cover risky assets in the Merrill Lynch acquisition, a policy in which the bank never even used.

All of the controversy you've been hearing about is finally coming to a head and it's extraordinary what's going on.

There are five different government factions closing in at the same time.

New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo was the first to announce an investigation into whether Bank of America misled its investors.  He may very likely be the first to charge individuals at the bank.

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that BofA board members just met to discuss an emergency change of leadership in case CEO Ken Lewis does face civil fraud.

But Cuomo isn't the only attorney general who is going after the bank.  North Carolina attorney general Roy Cooper says he is investigating, too.

The SEC is also ready to haul BofA to trial over the Merrill mess.  It announced Monday it will "vigorously pursue" charges.

The FBI is also flexing its muscles and looking into the bank's activities.

Finally, a House committee is making threats, saying BofA failed to comply with an investigation it is conducting.

The congressional group demanded documents detailing the bank's purchase of Merrill, but says what it received is irrelevant fluff, including employee emails praising Lewis for an "awesome" performance on CBS's 60 minutes.

Those documents were due Monday, so the committee is bringing in a top BofA executive for questioning.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 04:48:24 PM by RVR II »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2009, 04:47:25 PM »
Looks like B of A could be Next to Fall..
As somebody who still has a card with them (though only until I can finish the payments since they like to give me tons of credit and then reduce it for no reason) I say let the bastards fall.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2009, 04:50:06 PM »
We still have personal and Business checking accounts with them but those could be closing before the year's out :-\

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2009, 04:54:05 PM »
They're scumbags, I don't care if they collapse at all.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2009, 04:58:07 PM »
They're scumbags, I don't care if they collapse at all.
The only reason we still have accounts with them is the easy access to our accounts to pay bills while in Mexico but I think that can be with other banks online banking as well..
The wife has an account with Wachovia and we still have our accounts with a local credit union so it won't be too difficult to move our accounts overall :-\

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5000
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!