Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 118450 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3827
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #240 on: September 03, 2010, 09:01:01 PM »
Well I actually had my home phone disconnected today (I've had since leaving the Navy back in June of 1992) since the local apathetic phone company  doesn't seem to want to help me reduce my $200/month average phone bill..
I still have a separate phone line for the fax, and my cable and internet are tied in with the phone company as well so everything is combined into one bill..

The main thing that pissed me off with them is they offer a 'selective call block' feature for $5 a month to block out telemarketer calls but failed to inform me that I could only add 10 phone numbers to block before it was full and I would have to delete numbers if I wanted to add more ::)
Because we have a small business, we used our home # (for the last 9 years) for customers to call us but somehow telemarketers would find out despite the number being on the 'Do Not Call' list (and contacting the FCC for each and every one of them would be very frustrating and a huge waste of time), I just opted to disconnect the line instead.
I'll only be saving about $60/month but something is better than nothing..

The wife signed up with Vonage a couple weeks back under some international plan that allows her to call Mexico as much as she wants for $30/month so I just decided to make that our new home phone but I don't think we should give this out to customers cause the telemarketers won't be far behind..

We also use my wife's cell phone as another contact number for customers that we will keep active.
I just hope we don't lose too much business with the loss of that number because business is already incredibly slow as it is :-\
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:03:13 PM by RVR II »

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1511
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #241 on: September 04, 2010, 05:51:49 AM »
Have you looked at http://www.ooma.com? I know a few people who use it and love it.

Just got an email from them asking me to take a personality assessment test within the next 72 hours.  I'll take that as a somewhat positive sign.
Aw Hell.. :scared:
Don't mention RiffTrax  :speechless:

Dont worry, I wont. 

Nooooooooo! The outside company that does the tests website is down. I only finished part of the test before it started throwing error messages.  :grr:

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #242 on: September 04, 2010, 05:54:30 AM »

Nooooooooo! The outside company that does the tests website is down. I only finished part of the test before it started throwing error messages.  :grr:

Maybe that is part of the test..... :D

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #243 on: September 04, 2010, 05:55:27 AM »
'We're sorry! You have not completed the test in the alloted time.
Please check the connection and try again. This is a recording.' :o

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #244 on: September 04, 2010, 07:28:25 AM »
Have you looked at http://www.ooma.com? I know a few people who use it and love it.
Vonage was recommended by other Latinos because of the flat rates for international calls to their home countries..

The wife could very easily go through $100 in phone cards per month calling Mexico before, now she just pays $30-$35 per month for unlimited calls to Mexico :o

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #245 on: September 04, 2010, 07:32:18 AM »
Vonage was recommended by other Latinos because of the flat rates for international calls to their home countries..

The wife could very easily go through $100 in phone cards per month calling Mexico before, now she just pays $30-$35 per month for unlimited calls to Mexico :o

It looks like 1,000 minutes to Mexico is something like $10 a month.

http://www.ooma.com/products/international-rates

Not sure how much she talks on the phone or whatever.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #246 on: September 04, 2010, 07:33:31 AM »

It looks like 1,000 minutes to Mexico is something like $10 a month.

http://www.ooma.com/products/international-rates

Not sure how much she talks on the phone or whatever.
Quite a bit but that is a pretty good deal! :o

I'll do some checking..

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #247 on: September 04, 2010, 06:01:06 PM »
Fifth week of my 3 to 6 week lay off....assuming we're really all going to be called back.

The wolves aren't at the door yet but things are still scary.  I know how fast that can change.

Just can't believe that I tried a completely different tact this time...left where I lived, moved almost completely cross country, tried three different places....when I got here I started doing well...got a part-time job and then a full time job...only to lose both for nothing I did within weeks of each other and unless something happens soon I'm back to the same goddamned situation I was before....and again, not because I fucked up something.

And as for what DW was ranting about before about repealing the minimum wage....

I'm not going to bother suggesting that there is a horrendous lack of understanding of history there (read something about unions in this country or President Teddy Roosevelt and what he did for the living wage) or just life and the motives of people in general (lack of regulation has brought us this current economic situation and god knows how many millions of gallons of oil in the Gulf not to mention 11 dead workers and still you seem to think that if you just let companies pay whatever they want then things will be fair?)....

I'll just give you this link....

Did you know that of the 36.4 million homeless people in the U.S., nearly a fifth of them are employed (according to the National Coalition for the Homeless and the U.S. Conference of Mayors).

And that's with minimum wage laws.  Just because people have jobs doesn't mean that there's enough affordable housing.  Did you miss the story of how many people came to get applications for Section 8 assistance in Georgia recently?

The minimum wage law is the only thing that's keeping that kind of thing from being universal in this country.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #248 on: September 06, 2010, 04:46:33 PM »
Figures.. The wife attempts a new business venture and she decides that it's not all it's cracked up to be.. ::)

She was getting involved in the 'Illusions' natural/herbal stuff that she thought we could promote to our customer base..
Problem is, we don't have much of a customer base anymore thanks to competition and the economy so after 3 weeks, the wife says she's done.
Thing is, this lady (that was getting my wife involved with it) started getting snotty about it today and just called requesting $100+ difference still owed -
The Banks Are Closed Today Ditz!!  :grr:

This lady also put $40 down on a Dell computer 3 weeks ago and keeps delaying and making excuses when she's going to pay (another 2 weeks now) so I've already moved back out to the floor for sale. It will probably still be here if/when she finally does pay (because no one else has come in looking for a complete computer system as of late) but I'm just sick of hearing her excuses.

Now, the wife is talking of flying south for Mexico's Bicentennial (September 15) with her sister to carry merchandise with her to sell in the boutique in time for the huge celebration expected to take place (I really wanted to go as well but with plane tickets as high as they are, plus our upcoming road trip in November - It just wouldn't make sense financially) and while there, she'll be looking at a 2nd location for another American clothing boutique..
The current boutique is really doing awesome despite the economy and we're already looking ahead after 2010 tax season, we may actually go to Mexico for several months to make as much money as possible in the boutiques (and I possibly teaching English classes also) and bringing that home with us.
We've talked about this off and on but now it's seriously being considered! :-\
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 04:50:00 PM by RVR II »

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #249 on: September 06, 2010, 05:16:26 PM »
Well, it sounds like you have some options, and that is a good thing.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #250 on: September 06, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »
Well, it sounds like you have some options, and that is a good thing.
Yeah, I'm trying to see what the options are based on worst case scenario (no income the rest of the year, a crappy 2010 tax season, etc.) so If all I have to worry about is a mortgage, a student loan payment, and just kill the phone and power while we're gone, it seems feasible.. :-\

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #251 on: September 06, 2010, 05:47:12 PM »
Yeah my wife started selling Mary Kay stuff this past month. But despite my warnings it seems like she is spending about the same (or more) for supplies and party refreshments than she is bringing in.  *sigh*

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #252 on: September 06, 2010, 05:53:46 PM »
Yeah my wife started selling Mary Kay stuff this past month. But despite my warnings it seems like she is spending about the same (or more) for supplies and party refreshments than she is bringing in.  *sigh*
Ugh.. My wife was involved in that 5+ years ago and that's exactly what she had here as well.. I had to Leave on Many Occasions!! :grr:

Her sister actually got as far as the red Grand Am but the pressure never let up and she finally just had to give the car back.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #253 on: September 08, 2010, 12:34:55 PM »
I'm starting to think that every job listing out there is just a scam.

All I get back from my applications are the money laundering e-mails ("I run a confidential bill collection company...you'll get checks and when they clear you'll distribute them....") or this damn insurance company that calls itself different things, "hires" agents and after you've trained and got your license through them - out of your pocket - you only make money by getting other people to sign up to become agents too.  And since they've got everybody out actively recruiting all the time, they also cut workers constantly.....

I know things are bad but you'd think that one or two out of 30 or more a day....

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #254 on: September 08, 2010, 03:44:43 PM »
Woohoo! Got a call today that they want me to come in for interview #3 on Friday! I immediately agreed, set a time, hung up and instantly remembered I'm on kid duty that day. *facepalm* 

Had to ask daycare to switch days (I keep my daughter home with me tomorrow and send her Friday instead) and she gave me such a freaking hard time about it.  She said she wasn't sure because her 3 grandkids will be there on Friday filling the normally empty spots.  Sorry, but I'm PAYING YOU, your son is not.  She's really not doing much to make me want to send my daughter back full time if/when I do get a job.  I'm going to have to start asking around to find another place.  Sucks because she used to be awesome with our kids, but now she closes early all the time, takes days off left & right, and she doesn't really even talk to me when I show up so I have no clue what kind of day my kids have had when she basically shoves them out the door.  We were also getting a steal on what she was charging compared to other places which was an added reason to keep them there.  But enough about that mess. 

Now I just have to hope my former company doesn't screw up my background check like it did for my wife when she got hired by Comcast.  (We don't know anyone there since they shipped everything out to Des Moines and then laid off everyone we knew out there as well.)