Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 132409 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2959
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #1155 on: May 08, 2020, 04:37:11 PM »
JC Penney expected to file bakruptcy next week. Probably been 10 years or more since I've been in one. Growing up through my teens JC Penney, Sears, and K Mart were where we did the majority of our shopping. K Mart closed here at least a dozen years ago, Sears just last year, not 100% sure but I think we still have a JC Penney.

All the JC Penney and Kmarts around here closed up at least 10 years ago.  There were a couple Kmarts still open up near Philly until last year, but both are closed now.

The one Sears near me with a large auto center was still open when this pandemic hit, auto repair is a business that is allowed to stay open but don't know if that place is.

For me as a kid it was Kmart, Caldor, and WT Grant.  Grant was a chain only in Connecticut, not sure how wide spread Caldor ever got but it was throughout New York and New England.  Grant went belly up in the late 80s, Caldor hung on until the late 90s.  There was also a huge 5 floor department store in New Haven I remember fondly, on one floor it had a huge cage with dozens of parakeets in it.  That also went under in the 80s.

Edit: remembered the name of the store in New Haven, it was called Malley's and there was a skywalk connecting it to a Macy's.  Last time I was in that area has to be over 40 years ago buying a turntable at Macy's that was an old display unit, then had to go to Radio Shack for a new cartridge for it.  Funny how things come flooding back...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 04:55:51 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4544
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1156 on: May 08, 2020, 04:51:30 PM »
Back when I was born, my mom worked in the local JC Penney's in Buffalo NY in the Layaway dept. I think she said she got a discount on clothes for my brother and I when we were little because my parents couldn't really afford much back in the late 1960's-early 70s..

My late wife used to shop at our local JC Penney's in Rock Hill, SC a lot when we had our American clothing boutique in Mexico.. They got enough of our money over the years in the latter 2000's into the mid-2010s and I can honestly say I haven't stepped into our local JC Penney's in years so I won't miss it :-\

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1157 on: May 18, 2020, 02:09:19 AM »
Welp this is my final week working as a clerk for the USPS.
I start working in custodial maintenance on Saturday. I'll be doing some OSHA training some time soon where I'll be handling safety related issues which has a pay incentive when I complete the course. Not sure how much it is yet but it should offset the drop in pay I get when I switch over to my new position.
Still stoked about the change in jobs as I won't have to deal with the BS I've experienced for the last couple years at the post offices in town   8)

Online wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 351
« Reply #1158 on: May 20, 2020, 07:04:40 AM »
Pier 1 closing all it's stores.
Another store I haven't been to in a long, long time. Although I could count the number of times I've ever been in one on one hand as I never really understood it's appeal. Cheaply made imported wicker objects sold at premium prices.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1159 on: May 20, 2020, 07:32:56 AM »
Pier 1 closing all it's stores.
Another store I haven't been to in a long, long time. Although I could count the number of times I've ever been in one on one hand as I never really understood it's appeal. Cheaply made imported wicker objects sold at premium prices.

I'm amazed they stayed in business as long as they did, when I was a kid my mom loved shopping there, they had good stuff at good prices.  My mom stopped going there sometime in the 90s when it went to crappy stuff at high prices.

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 4966
« Reply #1160 on: May 20, 2020, 07:57:40 AM »
Here's a good video on Pier 1's decline...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mUX70ZWbWmc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mUX70ZWbWmc</a>

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1161 on: May 22, 2020, 04:04:51 AM »
Welp today is my final day working as a Clerk at the USPS and I officially start working in custodial/maintenance tomorrow morning then I'm off for 4 days (Sunday-day off, Monday-holiday, Tuesday-vacation day, Wednesday-day off) 8)
I will be transferring from the post office where I had my ongoing beef with the idiot station manager to the main post office in downtown and just 5 blocks from my house.
Looking forward to getting away from the high stress position I had as a clerk working the counter with idiotic customers, trying to maintain your professionalism while working within strict guidelines asking customers constantly if they had anything liquid, fragile, perishable, or anything hazardous such as lithium batteries, perfume or mercury, to up-selling shipping services and shipping supplies like a shady car salesman, to closing down the unit and counting thousands of dollars every evening and if you came up short, you were responsible for paying any shortage back out of your own pocket, not to mention dealing with annoying lead clerks that tend to back stab you if you try to do things outside their set ways of doing things (even if they're proven to be better ways of doing the job ::) )
I will also be looking into taking on the responsibility of being a safety coordinator for all the post offices in town which comes with a pay incentive to see if that's something I want to do and won't be too stressful but as I've learned in the almost 2 years I've worked in the post office, nothing runs as smoothly as it should so we'll see what happens there as time goes on :-\

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1162 on: May 23, 2020, 12:17:26 AM »
I'm sure OJ Simpson can't help them in any way :o
Hertz files for bankruptcy
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/business/hertz-bankruptcy/index.html

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1163 on: May 28, 2020, 01:34:28 PM »
As of Monday I'm on 60% pay for at least a few months, maybe longer if student's aren't back on campus in the fall.  At least I've got that, 4 others I work with are on full furlough, and one of them just bought a house.  I'll find out tomorrow how much money the state and the CARES act will make up for the lost pay.  60% does cover my basic bills, so I shouldn't have to dip into savings.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1164 on: June 05, 2020, 12:56:38 PM »
Finally found out today that 60% pay is exactly the line where you get zero state benefits, so don't know why HR told me to file....

Online wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 351
« Reply #1165 on: June 05, 2020, 03:26:41 PM »
That sucks. Sorry to hear that MartyS.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1166 on: June 05, 2020, 03:39:10 PM »
I figured I wouldn't get much so nothing isn't a complete surprise.  First time ever dealing with reduced work so had no idea what to expect.  Looking at the sheet I got they take the most you made in one quarter last year and divide it by 26, that's how much a week people are given.  If you got paid the same every week last year it's half that on UC this year.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1167 on: June 06, 2020, 01:07:07 AM »
Yeah it still sux but at least you still have some money coming in.

Meanwhile the local JC Pennys is on the list slated to close down sometime this Summer..
https://companyblog.jcpnewsroom.com/storeclosings/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 01:28:19 AM by RVR II »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1168 on: June 06, 2020, 02:10:20 AM »
On a side note, my new job working in custodial maintenance is going pretty well overall but after checking my time clock rings on my virtual time card online, I see a 30 minute lunch was entered on Thursday but I never took a lunch..
Apparently the new postmaster felt she had the right to doc me 30 minutes for a lunch I did not take on Thursday when I worked 9.25 hours straight :grr: I talked to the union steward and he said that's illegal for her to do that. She said she would change that but as of this morning it was not.. I will talk to the supervisor this morning to get her to fix it before the weeks time is submitted to HR but if she doesn't fix it before submitting it I'll be filing a grievance with the union!
I already took a pay reduction to get out of the chaotic workplace environment I was in as a clerk and I don't like my pay being screwed around with so I will be keeping a closer eye on my recorded time from now on >:(

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1169 on: June 06, 2020, 10:23:26 AM »
On a side note, my new job working in custodial maintenance is going pretty well overall but after checking my time clock rings on my virtual time card online, I see a 30 minute lunch was entered on Thursday but I never took a lunch..
Apparently the new postmaster felt she had the right to doc me 30 minutes for a lunch I did not take on Thursday when I worked 9.25 hours straight :grr: I talked to the union steward and he said that's illegal for her to do that. She said she would change that but as of this morning it was not.. I will talk to the supervisor this morning to get her to fix it before the weeks time is submitted to HR but if she doesn't fix it before submitting it I'll be filing a grievance with the union!
I already took a pay reduction to get out of the chaotic workplace environment I was in as a clerk and I don't like my pay being screwed around with so I will be keeping a closer eye on my recorded time from now on >:(
The supervisor couldn't change it but she did give me an extra half hour onto the end of that day which is acceptable.
Apparently the supervisor has been getting an hour each day taken out by the postmaster and she's not given the time to take a lunch either! She's highly pissed off about this as well :o