Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 96235 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3102
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
The Economic Downturn..
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:00:29 AM »
Kind of a 'Cold Reality' topic, but it's to the point..

My wife and I have been involved with my Brother in law's immigration case since it began in June of Last year simply for over staying his Visa..
We've watched a hard working person living the American Dream, have his kingdom literally tore down over the last 15 months..
After a lengthy battle with his immigration case, he was forced to return to Mexico in June of this year and is banned from reentering the U.S. for 10 years.
He then decided to move his wife and two kids to Mexico in August and hence my purchasing of the 98 Ford F150 which was loaded up with as much of their personal belongings as they could fit in the truck and made the one way trip south in September.

We now have full Power of Attorney over his house which we have been trying to sell for several months now to no avail, but luckily we have found some people willing to rent it till it is sold.
They had a 2004 Nissan Xterra that had to be turned back into the dealer cause they were so upsidedown on it, and I wasn't gonna take responsibility of it. I have his 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that we basically traded title for title for the 98 Ford truck that's now in Mexico. I've been trying to sell it also, but again no luck.. Mostly because of the economy, but also because it is too old to be allowed in Mexico; cars, mini vans, and SUV's older than 10 years are not allowed into Mexico, but trucks that are 10 - 15 years old are allowed into Mexico.. Yeah, it's an unusual law..
I'll probably wind up trading the Jeep in on another full size truck; 1995 - 1999 Full size Ford, Chevy/GMC, Dodge because those are the trucks prized by Mexicans to send south to their families in Mexico.
We also have their riding lawn mower that I have no use for cause my yard is not that big.. I may try to swap it for a 5000 watt portable generator cause I could use that..
Everything else is just cloths and misc kids stuff that'll eventually end up at the GoodWill..

Anyway, now that I've had time to reflect, it has been a sad process watching people's worlds fall apart like this first hand.
I hear about it all the time locally and on the news about the foreclosures, repossessions, lives just turned completely inside out and all I do is try to keep that from happening to us. :(

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 04:13:28 PM by RVR II »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
Re: Economic Downturn: Being Involved in Others' Misfortunes..
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 03:55:27 PM »
I'm ressurecting this not just for my personal case above, but after hearing about other cases in the news like..

An investor working for a Fortune 500 company making over $70,000 per year, being laid off and is currently working as a Janitor for only $12 per hour! :speechless:

Wholy Crap, Dude!! Has it Really gotten that bad out there now?! :scared:

As a small business owner, we've seen a major drop this tax season, and actually laid off another one of our part time girls, and we're looking after tax season April 15, what will we be limiting and/or doing to hunker down for surviving this economy long term??
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:57:05 PM by RVR II »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 964
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: Being Involved in Others' Misfortunes..
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 04:44:44 PM »
Yeah, a couple of weeks ago on the news, they were doing stories on the troubled job markets. One of the people they talked to was a computer guy who handled servers at a Fortune 500 company, pulled in over $100,000 a year. He's been out of work for a year now, and according to him he wasn't even able to get a job waiting tables. (Personally, I think he should probably start his own business at this point, but they didn't ask me.) They also reported that some of the VPs and other higher-ups at the failed financial companies around town had been working at Walmart, but since they didn't actually show one of those people, I'm a bit skeptical.

Oh, and still looking myself. There's plenty of comission-only places hiring though.

Offline ebeth

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
  • Why 9 Gars?
    • Anti-Affirmations
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 06:55:44 PM »
I went back to school because I can't find a job in my field (journalism) and now that newspapers are crashing and all the magazines I subscribe to are folding it looks like I won't be working in traditional journalism anytime soon.  Luckily my boyfriend is a professor and when the economy goes down the toilet, enrollment in colleges rise so at least he's safe.
I am not above projectile vomiting to get my way

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 08:12:50 AM »
Luckily my boyfriend is a professor and when the economy goes down the toilet, enrollment in colleges rise so at least he's safe.

Not necessarily.  Don't remember all the details from the story but.....they were talking about cut backs at a local college on the Charlotte, SC radio station I listen to at night.  They're cutting classes especially on the weekends because of lack of funds.  The report said that it was going to cause problems for anyone who were working on their degrees while working days.

Wholy Crap, Dude!! Has it Really gotten that bad out there now?! :scared:

Yes.  And because people like that are taking those jobs the people who would normally get them are really SOL.

Caught the end of Coast to Coast AM this morning and hear a lady who wanted to talk to the guest who was a medium....she was asking if he could tell her what was going to happen to her since if she went on living where she was, she was going to run out of money and end up homeless or should she move to another town...and either way it was breaking her heart because she wasn't going to be able to keep her pets.  My heart broke for her.   :'(

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 08:28:22 AM »
I mean.. WOW! :speechless:

My small business has taken a hit as of late and we've had to lay off another part time girl, but Man! Luckily, we closed on our refinance yesterday and currently awaiting the distribution checks so we can pay off several credit accounts (credit cards, lines of credit, etc) which will save us over $800 a month, and then.. We're saving all we can that we make from the rest of tax season and then we'll prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.. :-\

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 08:24:51 AM »
+Beware of new 'stimulus' scams..

http://www.grants.gov/, http://www.studentaid.ed.gov/, http://www.govbenefits.gov/ and http://www.sba.gov/.

One more warning: Some grant scams come in the form of an e-mail offering you the chance to get free money. These are phishing scams sent by identity thieves who hope to steal your personal information. NEVER respond to one of these emails.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 08:29:27 AM by RVR II »

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 08:39:39 AM »
Reminds me of the scumbags who were calling people with family missing in the World Trade Center - asking family for Social Security numbers and other personal information while passing themselves off as the authorities.

There are people out there who are just plain evil.   >:(

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 09:04:50 AM »
WOW! This Sux.. :o

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/rF2tXl5-TcQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/rF2tXl5-TcQ</a>

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2404
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 09:09:39 AM »
Hmmmmm "Video no longer available".

Wonder what the video was.....

1.   People petting puppies?
2.   Kids kissing kittens?
3.   Sisters shelling shrimps?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 09:12:45 AM »
Hmmmmm "Video no longer available".

???

It's still playing from my end.. :-\

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 03:45:31 PM »
I've adjusted the thread title to reflect the issue as a whole..

The first half of this year (2009) went better than expected:
1) We successfully Refied our house,
2) Payed off almost $30,000 of debt (cashing in our CD's and Money Markets),
3) Built our 3rd bedroom and 2nd bathroom addition, &
4) Went to Mexico and spent my 40th B-day in Cancun

Goals set and accomplished! 8)

Now as August is approaching, the our slow season has hit Big Time! Since returning the 3rd week in June, we've had very few customers, and we've had to tap into our remaining savings to cover the bills..
We're already restrategizing our ways to bring in more income; like onsight services. Going  to different areas or towns and setting up shop for a day to see if we can drum up some more business and income to carry us through till December.
I'm actually looking at the possability of making another road trip to Mexico for a couple customers wanting to get their trucks to the Mexico border..  :-\

Otherwise, we won't make it to the end of this year.. :-[

Offline carlobee

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 07:49:35 PM »
oh no. this is just sad to hear. :( hope things will not eventually get worse for all of us to the point that it will happen to a lot of us.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9928
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 05:55:00 AM »
Economists say sorry mum.

A British newspaper reported Sunday that a group of eminent economists have apologized to Queen Elizabeth II for failing to predict the financial crisis.

The Observer newspaper reported that a letter has been sent to the Queen after she demanded, during a visit to the London School of Economics last November, to know why nobody had anticipated the credit crunch.

According to the newspaper, the letter says that says "financial wizards" who believed that their plans to manage risky debts and protect the financial system were infallible were guilty of "wishful thinking combined with hubris."

Brenda was reported to have replied "Bloody right!" before turning to a footman and ordering "Wilkins, go and give them all Chelsea smiles."

Offline rebisaz

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Hi!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 10:16:52 AM »
I've adjusted the thread title to reflect the issue as a whole..

The first half of this year (2009) went better than expected:
1) We successfully Refied our house,
2) Payed off almost $30,000 of debt (cashing in our CD's and Money Markets),
3) Built our 3rd bedroom and 2nd bathroom addition, &
4) Went to Mexico and spent my 40th B-day in Cancun

Goals set and accomplished! 8)

Now as August is approaching, the our slow season has hit Big Time! Since returning the 3rd week in June, we've had very few customers, and we've had to tap into our remaining savings to cover the bills..
We're already restrategizing our ways to bring in more income; like onsight services. Going  to different areas or towns and setting up shop for a day to see if we can drum up some more business and income to carry us through till December.
I'm actually looking at the possability of making another road trip to Mexico for a couple customers wanting to get their trucks to the Mexico border..  :-\

Otherwise, we won't make it to the end of this year.. :-[

I'm hoping for the best for you RVR II. 

I have similar anxieties. Friends in my field who were laid off have been looking for jobs for months. My contract is up at the end of the year and I'm not sure what will happen beyond that.

I really hope your business pulls through.