Author Topic: CT005: Santa Claus Conquers the Martians!!!  (Read 31813 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2297
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: CT005: Santa Claus Conquers the Martians!!!
« Reply #150 on: December 08, 2008, 12:07:57 AM »
:clap:
I loved it!  It was especially interesting to see the scenes that weren't in the MST version, like the part where Santa finds out they're not gonna take him back to Earth, and the extended "calling on the Old Guy" scene.

Santa's slow angry "ho ho ho" response to the bad news still haunts me.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 1
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #151 on: December 10, 2008, 02:54:55 PM »
I HATE JOEL'S NEW VOICE!

Great reference for all the MST3K fans there.

LOL.   Only he can't hang it up in his office....

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 49
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #152 on: December 24, 2008, 09:31:26 PM »
I saw it today its pretty funny and it was nice to see some of the missing footage from the orignal. But i have to say i like the original MST3k version better. Maybe its just because ive seen the MST3k version a millions times and im just used to it. I dont know. But as far as them doing  "reriffing " KTMA years and Season one. I would be all for that. It would be interesting a more perfected riff on something like Robot Holocaust. As it is now i cant stand to watch the movie with or without the original MST3k riff.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 09:36:44 PM by Road_Element »

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 97
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #153 on: December 24, 2008, 10:46:13 PM »
Just saw this tonight. It's been so long since I saw the MSTK version... it was like new again. I have officially been off the CT bandwagon since the Wasp Woman and really have a tough time paying $9 for their riffs. As a gift to a friend at work who loves the original mstk, I bought it for them. So here are my thoughts.

The Good:
Chemistry is MUCH better. It feels a lot less scripted in comparison to the first CT releases. It did have a few laugh out loud moments... which really didn't happen for me in the early ones. The skit was not as dumb as what they have done in the past.

The Not-so-Good:
Not enough playful banter between the riffers. No running gags. The silhouette  skit was still not funny. Personally they just need to scrap it... it never seems to work on any level. And are they ever going to explain what the heck this time capsule/spaceship theme thing is all about? It just seems like an unfinished idea to me.

Overall a good riff that gives me more hope they'll give us something better in the future. In the meantime Quiptracks, Rifftrax, and ICWXP will be getting my hard earned cash.

Offline CEL-Kali

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #154 on: December 26, 2008, 12:26:15 PM »
Just saw this tonight. It's been so long since I saw the MSTK version... it was like new again. I have officially been off the CT bandwagon since the Wasp Woman and really have a tough time paying $9 for their riffs. As a gift to a friend at work who loves the original mstk, I bought it for them. So here are my thoughts.

The Good:
Chemistry is MUCH better. It feels a lot less scripted in comparison to the first CT releases. It did have a few laugh out loud moments... which really didn't happen for me in the early ones. The skit was not as dumb as what they have done in the past.

The Not-so-Good:
Not enough playful banter between the riffers. No running gags. The silhouette  skit was still not funny. Personally they just need to scrap it... it never seems to work on any level. And are they ever going to explain what the heck this time capsule/spaceship theme thing is all about? It just seems like an unfinished idea to me.

Overall a good riff that gives me more hope they'll give us something better in the future. In the meantime Quiptracks, Rifftrax, and ICWXP will be getting my hard earned cash.

Joel has said that the whole Time Tube thing will be explained as they go on. And I agree that the silhouette skit wasn't all the wonderful.... But then again Joel and some of the other guys have stated that it was more of a live show thing. And it's funded by the five guys (and gal) themselves, so the DVD sales help out on the cash flow.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I do like CT as much as I like RT.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2297
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #155 on: December 26, 2008, 02:37:46 PM »
Watching the releases in order, I do like that details as to where they are and why are leaking out slowly via the introductions.  I also think the skits are stedily getting better.  They were pretty tedius at first, but the last few are getting some laughs out of me, especially the gifts in this one and the game show in Legacy of Blood
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Invisible NanoGhost

• Big Montana
  • Just here for a few laughs. I'll take yours.
« Reply #156 on: December 26, 2008, 09:01:26 PM »
I think they're getting better.  The first few CT releases were rather weak, but I don't mind buying them.  They're trying to get a whole new premise going, and they're trying to do it on their own money.  We're expecting "MST3k season 11" wonderfulness, but it's going to take them some time to build up a decent budget for doing everything they want to do.

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 97
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #157 on: December 26, 2008, 09:40:34 PM »
I think they're getting better.  The first few CT releases were rather weak, but I don't mind buying them.  They're trying to get a whole new premise going, and they're trying to do it on their own money.  We're expecting "MST3k season 11" wonderfulness, but it's going to take them some time to build up a decent budget for doing everything they want to do.

How much budget do you need for a silhouette joke? Still, I'm glad the episodes are getting better even if it is slowly. The should take some tips from the ICWXP guys who actually make funny skits.

Offline Invisible NanoGhost

• Big Montana
  • Just here for a few laughs. I'll take yours.
« Reply #158 on: December 27, 2008, 01:05:25 PM »

How much budget do you need for a silhouette joke? Still, I'm glad the episodes are getting better even if it is slowly. The should take some tips from the ICWXP guys who actually make funny skits.

Not much.  But I'm thinking more of doing the skits, and building up the back story for the whole project.  In any case, what they've done so far is enjoyable enough that I'm willing to buy some more, and they do seem to be getting better with the newer releases.

Offline RockSiren

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 24
    • The Store
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2009, 10:56:31 AM »
I agree, they are getting better. Wasp Women Id have to say is probably the "least funny" for me anyways- Santa Claus has to be the funniest one yet, and Oozing Skull is a close second.

Offline jfayers

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2009, 10:01:39 PM »
I think they just need time to get their writing back on track.  Except for Mary Jo Pehl all of these guys have been out of the game for a long time.  And even with Pehl, it had been 8 years between MST3k and CT.  Not that they all haven't been writing, but novels and articles and tv shows and America's Funniest Home Videos are not quite the same thing as MST3K and that style of riffing.  Writing crotch impact jokes for AFHV does not keep your chops up for a project like CT.  I expect that they will get better with time.

At least Mike stayed in the same genre of movie criticism and Kevin sort of did the same with his segments on NPR (and his book was about movies but not necessarily ripping them apart).  Bill's an active standup comedian so at least he's got the timing down.  That's probably why Rifftrax was pretty good from the start.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2009, 10:24:47 PM »
Perhaps that's why Joel decided to keep doing the live shows and hold off on the studio DVDs. Basically, the audiences are the guinea pigs that CT bounces its work off of to see what works. Why I have to pay $50 to be a guinea pig . . . But I digress. Joel said himself that they're not doing the movies they're touring with in studio until the end of the tour . . . whenever that is . . . because they're still fine-tuning the jokes. Taken from that standpoint, I can understand where he's coming from . . . I just don't have to like it.

Offline majorjoe23

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #162 on: October 16, 2017, 05:20:30 AM »
I wrote up a little review of this episode. I hadn’t watched it in years, but after a re-watch it felt like this episode doesn’t hold up as well as the rest of CT’s catalog.

https://livelocalman.com/2017/10/15/msting-links-cinematic-titanic-episode-5-santa-claus-conquers-the-martians/