Author Topic: Scariest TV moments  (Read 7226 times)

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
Re: Scariest TV moments
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 10:18:30 AM »
David Duchovny in drag again?

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2008, 09:59:49 AM »
Oh David Duchovny in drag, where have you gone? Will you ever make us laugh at love again?

Offline Zeether

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 07:18:31 PM »
I'm waiting for someone to mention the WGBH Boston logo.
"Don't make me shoot you...CROOOOOOOOOW!"

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2008, 05:03:18 AM »
But then, I was scared by the Tums add where they sang the word tums to the Dragnet theme.  I have no idea why.

You too?  I thought I was the only one.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2008, 05:14:50 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iSM65wCI6sk&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iSM65wCI6sk&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

It seemed that every sitcom of that 70's/early 80's era would have an occasional "serious" episode, where some sort of scary peril happened to a series regular.  Stuff like Edith Bunker getting raped on All In The Family, Janet Jackson being abused on Good Times, or the above clip from Different Strokes where Gary Coleman and his sis get themselves kidnapped and nearly raped/killed.

Now I sit here wondering: was the laugh track really appropriate?

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2008, 06:32:46 AM »
Yeah Ghost Watch was good, though I don't remember being particularly scared by it, I did think it was an effectively done piece (I think it's even available on DVD in the US probably through Acorn).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I liked the explanation of how the ghost was drawing power that came at the end.

They really should do another one of those. But in a different country because I don't think it could be pulled off in the UK again.

Oh and here was the reaction from the delightful general public:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Aparently it's not avaliable in the US after all, which is a shame.

I think the makers of that show OVER estimated the intelligence of the audience. I about half the first clip and laughed my ass off it was so fake and cheesy. especially with the curtain bit and the part where you see him in the background behind the woman then in the kitchen glass door. I kept thinking this is a pitiful attempt at making one of these shows. Then To learn it was indeed fake and a hoax made it ok. The fact people were fooled by this crap made it even better.

I can't believe people fall for shows like this. I saw a clip from one of the ghost hunter shows where the camera team returns to a room and a stuffed bear has moved from the floor in front of a chair, to sitting in the chair... Like that is proof. Crew guy #3 just placed it on the chair while everyone was out of the room, made the noise for the crew to hear, hid, the crew comes back, he quietly rejoins them.