Author Topic: The Top 50 Monsters Countdown!  (Read 75135 times)

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
The Top 50 Monsters Countdown!
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:32:11 PM »
Here's how it works!

You were asked to send me a list of you top 25 monsters. 22 ballots were received, and the monsters were ranked on a point system allowing 25 points for a #1 choice, 24 for a #2, and all the way down to 1 point for #25. The points were added up, and what follows are your selections.

Tiebreakers work like such: If two monsters have equal pointage, the monster that appeared on the most lists ranks higher. If those monsters appeared on the same amount of lists, I went with whatever ranked highest on the individual list. A person that was someone's #4 beats another person's #6, for example. And then if they still were tied I just picked.

What we don't want: your entire lists posted, cloggin' up yer thread
What we do want: everything else. Bitch/kick yourself/pontificate as much as you want, because that's the point!

The Top 50 Monsters Countdown begins now!

Offline GregMcduck

• KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
Re: The Top 50 Monsters Countdown!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 12:40:04 PM »

50. Mr. Hyde - 32 points
(3 of 22 lists. Highest ranking - #3 Mechanical Torgo)

"Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" is a novella written by the Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson and first published in 1886. It is about a London lawyer who investigates strange occurrences between his old friend, Dr Henry Jekyll, and the misanthropic Edward Hyde. The work is known for its vivid portrayal of a split personality, split in the sense that within the same person there is both an apparently good and an evil personality each being quite distinct from each other; in mainstream culture the very phrase "Jekyll and Hyde" has come to mean a person who is vastly different in moral character from one situation to the next.

Dr. Jekyll feels as if he is always fighting within himself between what is good and what is evil and is pushing people dear to him far away. He is transformed into the cruel, remorseless, evil Mr. Hyde after drinking a potion of his own creation; Mr. Hyde is the evil side of Dr. Jekyll nature brought to the form. After drinking this potion he becomes a disliked, young man called Hyde. Dr. Jekyll has many friends and has a friendly personality. However, in the shoes of Hyde, he suddenly becomes mysterious and secretive.

The Angry Video Game Nerd (who is known for his incredibly offensive reviewing style) made perhaps the most negative review in his career of the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde video game for the NES. In the video, he appears even traumatized to have played the game and advises the viewer not to spend any money on it, not even to complete a collection of NES games.

Offline GregMcduck

• KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:46:30 PM »

49. Pinhead - 33 points
(2 of 22 lists. Highest ranking - #5 GregMcduck)

Pinhead is a fictional character from Clive Barker's Hellraiser universe. He is portrayed in the movies by actor Doug Bradley. In the original film, Pinhead did not have a name, but was simply credited as the "Lead Cenobite". Pinhead was a name coined by the makeup crew that applied the prosthetics on Bradley to distinguish the Cenobites.

Pinhead was not always a Cenobite, but was in fact once human. Pinhead originated as Captain Elliott Spencer, who was born into the middle class British society of the Victorian Era circa 1887.His transformation into Pinhead (a.k.a. "Lead Cenobite", "The Angel of Suffering" and "The Dark Prince of Pain") occurred when he opened the demonic Lament Configuration, which he picked up from a market in India in 1921. In the Hellraiser comic book series, Pinhead is depicted as the latest incarnation of the Cenobite spirit Xipe Totec, an entity derived from Aztec mythology.

The character of Pinhead presented something of a departure from the horror movie villains who preceded him. Unlike Leatherface, Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers, he can and does speak. However, he is rarely comical, as are Freddy Krueger or Chucky. When he does indulge in humour, it is notably dry. Another difference between Pinhead and other film killers, supernatural or otherwise, is his need to have been purposely summoned, as The Lament Configuration must be opened for the Cenobites to enter the (real) world. Pinhead does not kill indiscriminately, nor for vengeance; he kills because he was conjured from Hell by the opener of the puzzle box. Like very few other film killers, Pinhead is sometimes portrayed as a tragic villain when his origin of how he became Pinhead was explored in Hellbound: Hellraiser II and Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth. He also has characteristics of both an anti-villain and an anti-hero because in the second film, he was able to regain some of his humanity when he recollects his memory of his former life and tries to protect Kirsty and Tiffany from the insane Channard Cenobite.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »
The Angry Video Game Nerd (who is known for his incredibly offensive reviewing style) made perhaps the most negative review in his career of the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde video game for the NES. In the video, he appears even traumatized to have played the game and advises the viewer not to spend any money on it, not even to complete a collection of NES games.

I played that game on the NES. It was bad, but not nearly as bad as Friday the 13th.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline GregMcduck

• KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 12:53:29 PM »

48. Metaluna Mutant - 34 points
(3 of 22 lists. Highest ranking - #3 Monty)

Just like your Earth insects. Larger, of course...

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 12:58:52 PM »

50. Mr. Hyde - 32 points
(3 of 22 lists. Highest ranking - #3 Mechanical Torgo)

"Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" is a novella written by the Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson and first published in 1886. It is about a London lawyer who investigates strange occurrences between his old friend, Dr Henry Jekyll, and the misanthropic Edward Hyde. The work is known for its vivid portrayal of a split personality, split in the sense that within the same person there is both an apparently good and an evil personality each being quite distinct from each other; in mainstream culture the very phrase "Jekyll and Hyde" has come to mean a person who is vastly different in moral character from one situation to the next.

Dr. Jekyll feels as if he is always fighting within himself between what is good and what is evil and is pushing people dear to him far away. He is transformed into the cruel, remorseless, evil Mr. Hyde after drinking a potion of his own creation; Mr. Hyde is the evil side of Dr. Jekyll nature brought to the form. After drinking this potion he becomes a disliked, young man called Hyde. Dr. Jekyll has many friends and has a friendly personality. However, in the shoes of Hyde, he suddenly becomes mysterious and secretive.

ooh a good one that I missed.  I especially like Mr. Alan Moore's use of Hyde. 
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5222
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 01:00:33 PM »
Just what I was going to say.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
ooh a good one that I missed.  I especially like Mr. Alan Moore's use of Hyde. 

SKY WOGS!

Offline GregMcduck

• KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 01:02:10 PM »

47. Tyrant - 36 points
(2 of 22 lists. Highest ranking - #2 Tyrant)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 01:03:20 PM »
I expect, as this thread goes on, I'm going to see a lot of entries and slap my head, thinking "How did I forget that one?". I'm doing it already with Mr. Hyde (especially, as pretty girl already mentioned, Alan Moore's version) and the Tyrant (well, maybe not him; I put other RE baddies on my list).

Good so far, wonder what's next.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 01:05:52 PM »
Just what I was going to say.

I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline GregMcduck

• KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 01:06:10 PM »

46. Trolls - 38 points
(3 of 22 lists. Highest ranking - #7 GregMcduck)

Offline GregMcduck

• KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 01:07:52 PM »
I'm doing roughly five a day, folks, with the Top Five countdown on Halloween. As we sludge along, feel free to discuss as much as you want.

Offline therul

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 43
  • just another day in paradise
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 01:11:04 PM »

46. Trolls - 38 points
(3 of 22 lists. Highest ranking - #7 GregMcduck)

:clap: :clap: :clap:
We are the only intelligent beings- Arrogance 3:15

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 01:15:02 PM »
It has just occurred to me that I completely spaced on putting one of my favorite monsters on my list (it would've gone in my Top 5, easy). It's very aggravating, especially given the obvious nature of it.

Oh well, next time.

Waiting eagerly for the next 5 tomorrow.