login

Author Topic: Mike, why do you make fun of good movies?  (Read 17316 times)

Offline cheeseburger

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Mike, why do you make fun of good movies?
« on: October 20, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
It's much funnier to make fun of bad movies. That's the reason why I watch Mystery Science Theater 3000, but Iron Man?! Come on! It's so lame and unfunny to make fun of something that's good! You guys need to make fun of Camp Rock and the High School Musical Movies. They suck!

Offline Trumpysgirl

• Not Hurt By Pain
Re: Mike, why do you make fun of good movies?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 12:05:31 PM »
Because movies with large egos deserve to be taken down a notch, doesn't matter how much they rake in at the box office. Making fun of something doesn't mean that you don't like it, by the way. I believe that Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the best movies ever made, and the rifftrax for that is hilarious!

And, really, Rifftrax is not MST3K. If you approach it with that expectation you'll be disappointed every time, guarenteed.
Dammit, Maverick! Why don't you play by the rules?!

"Joel, what's a Harringway?"
"About a pound."

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 03:42:48 PM »
The question has been asked many times, and the answer is simple.  If they can be funny, its worth it, and to most of us the riffs of good movies are funny as hell.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Invader_quirk

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 12:41:22 PM »
I believe anything can be riffed as long as it takes itself seriously, BUT I think bad movies are much better riff-fodder.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 01:18:38 PM »
The better question is:  Why do more Rifftrax purchasers buy Rifftraxes of good movies, thus forcing Rifftrax to riff more good movies?
On timeout

anais.jude

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 10:20:48 AM »
The better question is:  Why do more Rifftrax purchasers buy Rifftraxes of good movies, thus forcing Rifftrax to riff more good movies?

That was socratic, BTA

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 06:02:44 PM »
Crap now you'll have to go drink Hemlock

Offline cheeseburger

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 05:10:03 PM »

Yeah. People should buy more copies of Battlefield Earth, The Happening, and Batman & Robin. That way they will make fun of more bad movies :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 05:12:27 PM by cheeseburger »

Offline TacitDirgeIX

• Disembaudio's Squadio
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 10:07:58 PM »
As Mike has mentioned before [in one Rifftrax or another]. It's not that they are bad movies, but ones that are particularly grand or visual [like 300 or Willy Wonka] make for great riffs
"Art is not Life; Life is an Art"

"Retrace your path and find concise;
The single thought that wrought a vice"

"Maybe he's born with it, maybe it's Photoshop!"

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 767
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 01:30:30 AM »

Exactly! If people would take a chance on the older flicks and the Mike solo flicks we might not get so many "good" flicks.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Invader_quirk

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 10:12:32 AM »
The grand visual movies are easier to riff, but not necessarily funnier for the viewer. You can have tons of jokes, but if it's not a bad movie, you don't have that feeling of victory over evil that you get in the riffs of crappy movies. Picking a movie to riff based on just grand visuals is a big mistake, IMO. It should suck, too.

Offline Bill Corbett

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 08:05:50 AM »
The grand visual movies are easier to riff, but not necessarily funnier for the viewer. You can have tons of jokes, but if it's not a bad movie, you don't have that feeling of victory over evil that you get in the riffs of crappy movies. Picking a movie to riff based on just grand visuals is a big mistake, IMO. It should suck, too.

Different strokes, etc. etc.  There is no rulebook.   

People have difference preferences, and those preferences are as individual as people themselves.   

Invader_quirk

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 10:57:22 AM »
Right. This is just my opinion. Differing opinions on this matter have been voiced very loudly, so I'd be a fool to think I was 100% "right".

Offline trevbill

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 09:07:16 PM »
Hey guys new to rifftrax. Well I just listen to the 300 trax. I hated 300 couldn't sit through it. But loved
listening to the guys totally eviscerate it. ;D  But I know alot of people who love the movie. I think its all in the mind of the beholder.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 10:49:33 PM »
I'll echo and elaborate on what Bill said earlier, and say that "good" and "bad" are very subjective terms, so while you might consider a movie to be really good, the guys might think it is pretty bad, and therefore needing of a riff.  And even if they like the movie... well... I'm sure you joke and tease with people you like.  It doesn't mean you have anything against them.  It's just a way to have fun with them.  It's the same with movies.  I like the Star Trek movies, but I sometimes find myself mentally riffing them as I watch them.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104