login

Author Topic: Where's my Futurama?  (Read 109460 times)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: Where's my Futurama?
« Reply #720 on: September 05, 2013, 03:12:46 PM »
Well that was an incredibly beautiful episode. Well done, Futurama.

I still hope for more direct-to-DVD movies. Not right away though... Let the series itself rest a bit and then maybe at least one action-packed "coda" of sorts.

Whatever, I can't wait for the commentary.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #721 on: September 05, 2013, 06:34:29 PM »
Just watched it. I didn't think it was that great.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #722 on: September 05, 2013, 08:15:08 PM »
I thought it was really good.  Many great call backs.  Great way to end it.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #723 on: September 06, 2013, 01:35:39 PM »

As an episode or as an "end"?
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #724 on: September 06, 2013, 01:45:19 PM »

I just seemed average. I didn't find it terribly funny or touching like a lot of people did. I was just kind of bored the whole way through.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #725 on: September 06, 2013, 01:58:05 PM »

I just seemed average. I didn't find it terribly funny or touching like a lot of people did. I was just kind of bored the whole way through.

I definitely get what you're saying

...and I'm glad they purposefully left it a bit open, considering I know they are already shopping around the prospect of a movie (or more).

I still don't want another season-based series, but that (to me) was a nice Futurama-y way to conclude the series. It wasn't huge and in your face and action packed and "Here's our absolute goodbye, Going out with a bang!" and that's what I liked about it.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #726 on: September 06, 2013, 03:24:17 PM »
I was a very "Futurama-y" way to end it.  Perfectly fine ending if it never comes back.  And they have been doing the time loop stuff quite often from the beginning so why not go out that way.

I'd like someone like Netflix to pick it up as maybe 90 minutes a couple times a year, that might be the best format to continue with.

Offline McDonald's

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #727 on: September 06, 2013, 09:57:53 PM »
It was a nice ending episode.  The funny parts were pretty funny.

Offline modelmeg

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 124
« Reply #728 on: September 11, 2013, 02:13:48 PM »
I just finished it. I liked the episode. There are already a lot of sweet Fry and Leela episodes, though, so I actually found myself more affected by the previous Zoidberg centric episode. After so many years of constant abuse it was really lovely to see his character get a happy ending. I'm gonna miss Futurama. It's like a little dash of sunshine. I really hope that they continue putting out movies.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #729 on: September 13, 2013, 11:12:14 PM »
While all of your hopeful outlook on continued Futurama stories is understandable and somewhat admirable, I gotta say that it's almost a near certainty that Futurama has reached its final end. David Cohen has said that he already felt like he was in the bonus rounds of the whole Futurama rebirth event and that he was surprised that they were renewed for new episodes in 2011. And honestly, I don't think there are very many good Futurama stories left to tell. The past three broadcast seasons, I feel, were weak compared to the 2010 broadcast season and the features that came before it. It has felt like for me that they had a very good run with those movies and episodes, but then sort of ran out of gas and the whole thing became forced and uninspired. I think it's probably best to leave these characters where they are in our memories and all move on with our lives. All shows end. Even the Simpsons will have to go off the air at some point. We were extremely lucky that Futurama was resurrected once and we got a lot of good stuff out of it, but I think it's time to be thankful for what we have and let go.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #730 on: September 14, 2013, 01:46:25 AM »
Said it before and I'll say it again.  I don't understand why anyone would be disappointed in the new episodes unless they had just put the older episodes on such a pedestal in their minds that no new episodes would ever live up to them.  In the past year I've watched the entire run of Futurama from beginning to end, and the seasons that are on Netflix I've cycled through more than once.  It's my usual show to wind down before bed.  I thought the first season was mostly good, it improved in its second and third season, then it hit a stride.  The only real dips in quality I can think of are the pacing of the DVD movies.  They were good, but the format made them all seem overlong and not as cohesive since they had to work as movies and as cut up episodes.  The word uninspired just seems utterly wrong to me.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #731 on: September 14, 2013, 09:18:35 AM »
I would also disagree with the "forced and uninspired" idea.  There certainly were changes in the writing staff and it showed.  But, while I don't think they had as as many great episodes the last few years as before, they did have them, and they were just as good as any of the older ones.

The danger of going to movies is if one isn't good it's a big fail, and a long wait for the next one.  One bad 20 minute episode is easier to overlook, and move on next week.  But I can't believe they would bomb for an entire 90 minutes, so it would be a matter of picking out good bits in any one that might have a weak story.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #732 on: September 14, 2013, 09:18:49 AM »
While all of your hopeful outlook on continued Futurama stories is understandable and somewhat admirable, I gotta say that it's almost a near certainty that Futurama has reached its final end. David Cohen has said that he already felt like he was in the bonus rounds of the whole Futurama rebirth event and that he was surprised that they were renewed for new episodes in 2011. And honestly, I don't think there are very many good Futurama stories left to tell.

So their comments A MONTH AGO that they "hope to continue on somehow" through possible movies and "maybe a big-screen effort" because they "still have stories to tell" were all smoke and mirrors?!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5644
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #733 on: September 14, 2013, 09:27:58 AM »
My only real problem with a big-screen theatrical movie is that in order to accomodate the general public, they would have to go back to the beginning and retell the setup for the show.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #734 on: September 14, 2013, 10:51:30 AM »
My only real problem with a big-screen theatrical movie is that in order to accomodate the general public, they would have to go back to the beginning and retell the setup for the show.

Yeah, like Serenity did. God I hate that movie.