login

Author Topic: Where's my Futurama?  (Read 109406 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline tgeorgic

  • Magneto-cent Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 315
  • Liked: 1
Re: Where's my Futurama?
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2009, 12:54:31 PM »
acutally they have all been very vocal in their support of the show being renewed and wanting to come back so unless they changed their mind the day they wrapped the final movie i dont think they would turn down a chance to come back.


Offline Scrivener

  • Not Hurt By Pain
  • ******
  • Posts: 1154
  • Liked: 7
  • P.S. Productions: Getting the last word in.
Re: Where's my Futurama?
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2009, 02:23:45 PM »
http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/06/its-official-futurama-returns.html

Quote
26 new episodes of Matt Groening and David X. Cohen's late, great animated series to air beginning in 2010. The studio cites Futurama's "blockbuster" performance on DVD and in reruns on Comedy Central as the reason for its rebirth.

y'know what goes great with brand new Futurama... a brand new Futurama cast


Quote
The website Forces Of Geek is reporting, based on Facebook posts from John DiMaggio, Phil LaMarr, and Maurice LaMarche, that 20th Century FOX TV, which produces the show, may be trying to recast the revived Futurama. Now that sounds like a terrible idea.... because it's a terrible idea. But it seems to be happening. The site even reprints the audition sheet. For instance:

[ BENDER BENDING RODRIQUEZ (BENDER) ]
Bender, a cigar-smoking, booze-guzzling, kleptomaniac robot, had a successful career in bending girders but tired to kill himself when he found out the girders were being used for suicide booths. He was saved by Fry and later took a job at Planet Express. To be able to function properly, Bender needs the chemical energy from alcohol. Excessive drinking is mandatory or he will become sober and unable to control his body. Magnets stuck to his head make him sing like a folk singer...SERIES REGULAR



My semi-informed guess:  this is a negotiating tactic, to lowball the original voice actors by threatening to replace them cheaply.  It would be awfully clueless for network executives to alienate the devoted fan-base by ditching the original voices, especially when ratings for the show are likely to be marginal enough that losing a piece of that fanbase would make the difference between making and losing money on this revival.

But never let it be said that network executives cannot be clueless, so we'll see.
Buy P.S.Productions' iRiffs.  NOW AVAILABLE:


Offline Rattrap007

  • Mayor of Nilbog
  • *****
  • Posts: 3954
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
Re: Where's my Futurama?
« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2009, 07:46:18 PM »




Offline MartyS (Gromit)

  • Not Quite Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 11647
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Where's my Futurama?
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2009, 08:24:20 PM »
Apparently they ARE going with a new cast...

This is yet another fail...

Well, now I'm not all that excited about the return.  I"m sure I'll watch the first episode but expectations will be very low. 


Doctor Who?

  • Guest
Re: Where's my Futurama?
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2009, 09:11:03 PM »
Apparently they ARE going with a new cast...

This is yet another fail...

No chance I will ever watch one second then. 

Who cares,Into the wild green Yonder was the perfect final any way.


Offline BBQ Platypus

  • Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • ******
  • Posts: 4201
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
Re: Where's my Futurama?
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »
As someone who isn't a huge superfan of Futurama (I like it swell when it's on, though), this puzzles me in the same way that the new Buffy movie puzzles me.  If the only reason this show is coming back is because of the fans, why the hell would you do something that will only serve to piss said fans right the fuck off?  They've just alienated everyone who wanted to watch the show in the first place.  And if they think the fanboys will just watch the show anyway, they're sorely mistaken.  Nearly every fan I've seen comment on this story in blogs and news articles all over the Internet has said that they will no longer watch the show.

There really is no defending this.  This is not a greedy move - "greedy" would imply that someone is going to profit from this.  This is just a flat-out, pants-on-head stupid move.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.


Offline MartyS (Gromit)

  • Not Quite Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 11647
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Where's my Futurama?
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2009, 10:13:28 PM »
Just reading that they tried to do the same thing with the Simpson's, sent out casting calls for new actors and no one responded, so the current actors then had massive leverage and ended up with even bigger paychecks.

Can only hope the same thing happens here.


Offline RoninFox

  • Gryffindork
  • ******
  • Posts: 14018
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Where's my Futurama?
« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2009, 10:19:58 PM »
Just face it, recasting Futurama is the kind of decision that turns an executive into Torgo's Powder.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing


Doctor Who?

  • Guest
Re: Where's my Futurama?
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2009, 06:37:49 AM »
This stupid on so many levels.  First Billy West does the voice of half the cast,I bet they are going to have to hire at least three actors to do his job and then there is no way they will do it as well.  Second They had to have a massive search to find the voice of Bender and half of Bender's personality comes from John Damgeo's ad libs.  third this means that someone like me the biggest Futurama fan ever will not be watching.


Offline Darth Geek

  • The Efron
  • ****
  • Posts: 27793
  • Liked: 5642
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Where's my Futurama?
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2009, 07:06:00 AM »
I agree with MartyS (Gromit), if this backfires and gives the regular cast more leverage, that would be great!

Oh, and DON'T AIR IT AFTER FOOTBALL!!!! My God, I hated that! There was at least one season where EVERY WEEK (no exaggeration) where the beginning of Futurama got cut off because football game ran long.



Doctor Who?

  • Guest
Re: Where's my Futurama?
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2009, 08:03:20 AM »
Also I don't think most football watchers are going to watch Futurama any way.

Wait I thought Fox was making the show for CC,what happened?


Doctor Who?

  • Guest
Re: Where's my Futurama?
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2009, 08:15:30 AM »
Here's a link to a story that includes an email address for Fox.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/07/17/fox-is-recasting-futurama/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 07:36:49 PM by Doctor Who? »


Offline MartyS (Gromit)

  • Not Quite Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 11647
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Where's my Futurama?
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2009, 10:56:09 AM »
I agree with MartyS (Gromit), if this backfires and gives the regular cast more leverage, that would be great!

Oh, and DON'T AIR IT AFTER FOOTBALL!!!! My God, I hated that! There was at least one season where EVERY WEEK (no exaggeration) where the beginning of Futurama got cut off because football game ran long.

It's going to be on Comedy Central, they don't do sports...  Fox television is not making the show, it's Fox Studios making it for CC.

Yea, the pre-emption rate was ridiculous, there were many episodes I didn't see until the reruns on Cartoon Network.



Offline Darth Geek

  • The Efron
  • ****
  • Posts: 27793
  • Liked: 5642
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Where's my Futurama?
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2009, 06:31:08 PM »


It's going to be on Comedy Central, they don't do sports...  Fox television is not making the show, it's Fox Studios making it for CC.

Oh, good. Does Fox own Comedy Central? Because if not, we could be in a situation like The Critic where the channel that doesn't own the rights keeps moving it around and essentially burying it.



Offline Compound

  • Grendel's Mom
  • ***
  • Posts: 9437
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: Where's my Futurama?
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2009, 08:01:05 PM »

My semi-informed guess:  this is a negotiating tactic, to lowball the original voice actors by threatening to replace them cheaply.

Ditto. The same thing was done witht he Simpsons cast as well. (And NBC tried it with Friends.) Mark Evanier (Groo, Mad magazine, other stuff) goes into detail about it over here. He puts a 96% chance that we end up with the old cast, a 2% chance of egos coming to an impass and 2% chance of them actually going through with it.

BTW: There's a Futurama panel on Saturday at Comic Con. If you're going, it might be fun to head in and see the fireworks. Me? I've got an audition CD to record.  (Hey, I need the work.)