login

Author Topic: A cartoon lover's lament...  (Read 8837 times)

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
Re: A cartoon lover's lament...
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2006, 12:47:35 PM »
I wonder if Disney is going to do something with the Oswald the Lucky Rabbit character.  I mean, after all those years since Walt Disney's boss screwed him out of the rights to the character, they finally get him back, and now they're just sitting on him.  Figuratively speaking.  How about a grand re-introduction of the character in a brand-new theatrical short? 

And god bless John Lassetter for appreciating the old ways of doing things.  One of the best things about Pixar is the theatrical shorts before their films.  (And actually, I liked the short that came with Cars better than the movie.)  I wonder if the new Disney shorts will only come before films specifically released by Walt Disney Pictures, or if they'll be in front of films from any and all Disney owned companies.  Though I guess they'll mainly accompany films with no higher than a PG rating, so parents won't feel uncomfortable bringing their kids.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2006, 05:39:59 AM »
"All is peacful and quiet in the city of Townsville," narrated the narrator, "If you ignore THE GIANT ANT!!!" I was hooked.

I liked when they wanted to be more like their favorite comic book stars. Buttercup wanted to be more like the character in her Todd Mcfarlane comic book: SPORE! It was a really well-done Spawn parody.

Powerpuff girls did really well for itself. They had little parodies from all kinds of movies and comics in there. One episode that sticks out in my mind is the one where a huge indestructible lizard-monster comes out of the ocean to wreck the city. The monster itself is based on a creature from one of Frank Miller's "Big Guy & Rusty" comics. Buttercup tries to shoot it down with a helicopter decked out with gattling guns, and the thousands of empty shell casings fall to the ground, mimicking the same shot from the matrix. Nothing can stop it until Bubbles just politely asks the monster to go away.

Powerpuff girls won an Emmy award for their Beat-alls episode. Mojojojo was John Lenon, I think.

"I wanna hold your cash!"

I loved all those Powerpuff episodes. Remember when it's revealed that Bubbles has the "super power" to speak Spanish? I wish they'd put out complete season DVDs. I didn't really like the Beat-Alls episode, though. It just seemed too forced.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2006, 10:31:53 AM »
Getting back to the original topic of this thread, what about Drawn Together?  That has plenty of good, old-fashioned cartoon violence.  Albeit, no one under the age of forty (including myself) should be allowed to watch it, but every time I've watched it, I've not regretted it.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2006, 10:39:57 AM »

Despite everything we do to avoid it, Pak and I always wind up watching Drawn Together. I would say the show has its moments, but I think it tries too hard on most levels.

At any rate, it's a cartoon for an older audience and the more debated issue is cartoon violence in shows of the more G/PG-rated variety.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3699
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2006, 11:21:23 AM »
Yeah, Drawn Together keeps the torch lit, but it would be nice to appreciate its glow without feeling dirty inside. :^)

I can't figure out Drawn Together. There's something that keeps me watching it even though every fiber of my being tells me I know better than that. Maybe I'm just SO starved for cartoony toons that I'll eat whatever they put under my nose. :^)