Author Topic: Ab Fab remake? Shockingly, I'm not horrified.  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
Ab Fab remake? Shockingly, I'm not horrified.
« on: October 07, 2008, 10:58:05 AM »
Edina and Patsy are ready to take on L.A.
Fox is developing a redo of Jennifer Saunders' enduring Britcom "Absolutely Fabulous," to be exec produced by Mitch Hurwitz, Eric Tannenbaum and Kim Tannenbaum for Sony Pictures TV, Tantamount and BBC Worldwide America.

Christine Zander ("Saturday Night Live") is set to write the script and will exec produce along with the BBC's Ian Moffet and original series creator Saunders. Fox has given Sony a script order with hefty penalty attached.

The latest attempt at a U.S. rendition of "Ab Fab" will be transplanted to L.A. but retain the basic template of the original, revolving around the friendship of two boozy, over-40 best friends who are desperate to stay hip and youthful and who carry on under the disapproving eye of Edina's teenage daughter, Saffy.

More than a decade ago, Roseanne Barr worked on developing a U.S. version of the show with Carrie Fisher for ABC. CBS' 1995-98 Cybill Shepherd comedy "Cybill" had an "Ab Fab" flavor to it. Another short-lived 1995 sitcom, CBS' "High Society," starring Jean Smart and Mary McDonnell, was a thinly veiled imitation.

Original series starred Saunders and Joanna Lumley. It was a big hit in Britain and successful import for Comedy Central. In the U.K., "Ab Fab" ran as a regular series from 1992-95, with a two-part finale airing in 1996. Saunders and Lumley reunited for further adventures with fresh segs produced in 2001 and 2003.

With Saunders involved AND Mitch Hurwitz, this does actually have a lot of potential.  Comes down to casting though.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
Re: Ab Fab remake? Shockingly, I'm not horrified.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:43:38 AM »
Comes down to casting though.

We'll get another size 2 as Edina complaining that she's fat.   >:(

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 01:35:10 PM »
Was this show ever actually funny? I've tried to like it. The audience seems to think it's funny. It isn't.
It is.  Some of it you have to discover with the use of closed-captioning on this side of The Pond because of the accents but....

The physical stuff is funny as hell.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 01:44:22 PM »
I've watched 3 seasons or so (I really wanted to like it) and I don't think I laughed once.  Mostly it consists of a) Joanna Lumley likes to drink and smoke, and b) Jennifer Saunders says "darling" a lot and falls down.
Well, it's "Sweetie" I think but....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3YjDMmjgKec&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3YjDMmjgKec&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Maybe you have to know former "Love Generation" Hold Outs.

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 32
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 09:07:48 AM »
I loved the original, but I can't see this remake succeeding. Maybe if it were set in New York, but LA? Like you said, it will come down to casting. It always does.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1643
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 04:42:38 PM »
It's one of those shows I'll be watching in a loungeroom full of people and be the only one not laughing, but they'd usually be women or gay guys insisting we watch it.  I assume I'm not supposed to find it funny because it's not for me, like Sex and the city or whatever.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 04:53:13 PM »
It's one of those shows I'll be watching in a loungeroom full of people and be the only one not laughing, but they'd usually be women or gay guys insisting we watch it.  I assume I'm not supposed to find it funny because it's not for me, like Sex and the city or whatever.

I think there's something to that, but I think that's what it became to some people rather than what was there in the script. It's actually pretty good though i still like French and Saunders' Sketch show much more.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3081
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 01:48:33 PM »
Edina and Patsy are ready to take on L.A.
Fox is developing a redo of Jennifer Saunders' enduring Britcom "Absolutely Fabulous," to be exec produced by Mitch Hurwitz, Eric Tannenbaum and Kim Tannenbaum for Sony Pictures TV, Tantamount and BBC Worldwide America.

Christine Zander ("Saturday Night Live") is set to write the script and will exec produce along with the BBC's Ian Moffet and original series creator Saunders. Fox has given Sony a script order with hefty penalty attached.

The latest attempt at a U.S. rendition of "Ab Fab" will be transplanted to L.A. but retain the basic template of the original, revolving around the friendship of two boozy, over-40 best friends who are desperate to stay hip and youthful and who carry on under the disapproving eye of Edina's teenage daughter, Saffy.

More than a decade ago, Roseanne Barr worked on developing a U.S. version of the show with Carrie Fisher for ABC. CBS' 1995-98 Cybill Shepherd comedy "Cybill" had an "Ab Fab" flavor to it. Another short-lived 1995 sitcom, CBS' "High Society," starring Jean Smart and Mary McDonnell, was a thinly veiled imitation.

Original series starred Saunders and Joanna Lumley. It was a big hit in Britain and successful import for Comedy Central. In the U.K., "Ab Fab" ran as a regular series from 1992-95, with a two-part finale airing in 1996. Saunders and Lumley reunited for further adventures with fresh segs produced in 2001 and 2003.

With Saunders involved AND Mitch Hurwitz, this does actually have a lot of potential.  Comes down to casting though.

Casting will probably kill it, that was the biggest fault with the US version of Coupling (and Moffett didn't rewrite the jokes enough to work in the NYC environment the show was supposed to be set in)....

ABFAB was one of those shows I though was really funny sometimes and not funny at all other times, not much middle ground, it was best when they played up the physical shtick....