Author Topic: What is Cheap Seats?  (Read 1957 times)

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
What is Cheap Seats?
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:57:16 PM »
This is the first review on imdb.com about what Cheap Seats is:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397769/
Hilarious show, best on ESPN, 17 February 2004
Author: MilB12 from Dallas
ESPN doesn't have a whole lot of great programming. SportsCenter is great, but it's just a news show. This show is going to be classic. The Sklar brothers are hilarious, you may have seen their comedy specials.

This show is very much like Mystery Science Fiction Theater, but instead of two robots and a guy watching bad movies it is two comedians watching classic old sporting events and make fun of them. The funniest I've seen was an episode which they were ripping on a 1980 wresting match between the Iron Sheik and Kerry von Erik. The show is very funny, tune into ESPN sometime and check it out.

Please, everybody, get in there and explain that Mystery Science Theater 3000 had comedians on the show.
On timeout

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
Re: What is Cheap Seats?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 01:09:32 PM »
I absolutely hate the IMDb for this reason here.

Instead of becoming the Wikipedia of movies, they've always been extremely inflexible about moderating any changes to the pages and correcting bad info. I've been trying to get my bio changed for over a year.

Meanwhile, the information they *do* let through doesn't get fact checked or vetted for common sense. Instead of letting the wisdom of the crowds filter out what should be online, they have a precious few people who don't know what's what giving the thumbs up to questionable content and beating down everything else.

They're trying to make money off the studios and industry people, and open source information just doesn't play well with that concept.

Offline Douglin

• Big Montana
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 01:11:13 PM »
firstly, why? who cares?

"three years ago someone described mst3k as being hosted by 2 robots and a guy?, what an arsehole! How dare he!"

secondly, Cheap seats was good

thirdly,

jasimon1

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 01:11:29 PM »
This show actually is only on in reruns now on ESPN Classic. It was a pretty good show and Mike and the Bots were guests on one episode.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 01:25:02 PM »
firstly, why? who cares?

"three years ago someone described mst3k as being hosted by 2 robots and a guy?, what an arsehole! How dare he!"

No, I mean, that is the first review you see when you look up Cheap Seats.  I like the show, but somebody/everybody should be editing it like wikipedia.
I'm not saying anything bad about the show, just imdb.com, and their reviews which pretty much always suck or don't exist.
On timeout

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 03:43:36 PM »
I will agree that whoever writes for IMDB should at least take the time and see that they're getting...say...the name of the show they're referencing right.  Mystery Science FICTION Theater???

But that said I at least agree that the 1980 wrestling episode was one of Cheap Seat's funniest, just for the match with "The Great Kabuki" who only had three moves and was not Japanese.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Hank_Peters

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Look at my crotch!
    • My music
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 05:03:56 PM »

Either my eyesight has failed me, or Crow has successfully broken the laws of science in that picture.

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 05:18:11 PM »
But that said I at least agree that the 1980 wrestling episode was one of Cheap Seat's funniest, just for the match with "The Great Kabuki" who only had three moves and was not Japanese.

um, Yeah he is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Kabuki
I really do like pie.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 05:27:50 PM »

um, Yeah he is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Kabuki

I stand corrected, and so does the show, as that was the point they kept making during his entire match.

He still sucked in that match though.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline deadheadpunk

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 1
  • Pisces dying rays..
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 07:50:33 PM »
here's the bit from when mike and the bots are on the show  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhPq1GHlawM

good stuff

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 09:58:47 AM »
They were riffing on one of the von Erichs? Those bastards!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1511
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 05:49:31 PM »
Ah, Cheap Seats, another show I miss.   :'(
Agreed.
I cherish the few eps I managed to catch on DVD... up to just a couple after the MST3K guest shot.  Lost interest when they added the live audience, though.  Between them, MST3K, Film Crew, Cinematic Titanic, and my Rifftrax re-authors, that's most of what I watch these days.

The live audience didn't last too long.  I managed to dump all but the last 5 episodes from my DVR over to DVD.  The last 5 are still sitting on my DVR due to laziness and time spent on Rifftrax reauthors.

I'm so pissed.  I dumped the last 5 episodes onto my Mac a few months back and never got around to editing out the commercials until about a week ago.  I'm out of blank DVDs, so I hadn't burned them yet.  And last night my Mac hiccuped while I was working on another video project and now it says "Source clip is missing" for each of the last 5 episodes.  I can see the video in the timeline (including the thumbnails of the entire thing, but it just won't play.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does anyone out there happen to have them?

jasimon1

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
Ah, Cheap Seats, another show I miss.   :'(
Agreed.
I cherish the few eps I managed to catch on DVD... up to just a couple after the MST3K guest shot.  Lost interest when they added the live audience, though.  Between them, MST3K, Film Crew, Cinematic Titanic, and my Rifftrax re-authors, that's most of what I watch these days.

The live audience didn't last too long.  I managed to dump all but the last 5 episodes from my DVR over to DVD.  The last 5 are still sitting on my DVR due to laziness and time spent on Rifftrax reauthors.

I'm so pissed.  I dumped the last 5 episodes onto my Mac a few months back and never got around to editing out the commercials until about a week ago.  I'm out of blank DVDs, so I hadn't burned them yet.  And last night my Mac hiccuped while I was working on another video project and now it says "Source clip is missing" for each of the last 5 episodes.  I can see the video in the timeline (including the thumbnails of the entire thing, but it just won't play.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does anyone out there happen to have them?

I do! I'm pretty sure they are all on DVD but some might still be on my hard drive. PM and we can work something out.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1511
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 04:42:20 AM »
Awesome!  Even if it's on DVD that's cool.  I'm sure we can figure out something.

spaceforarent

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 05:04:15 AM »
here's the bit from when mike and the bots are on the show  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhPq1GHlawM

good stuff
Don't forget that was also included as an extra on the Final Justice disc from Volume XIV.