Author Topic: Flicks that make you feel good!  (Read 10279 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2884
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Flicks that make you feel good!
« on: December 05, 2006, 11:18:12 AM »
This isn't a post for favorite movies so much as it is for movies that left you feeling all jazzed when you first saw them in a theatre. Maybe the movie didn't hold up to repeated viewings, or maybe it remains a treasured movie, but what movies have given everyone that awesome hard-to-describe feeling that all is right with the world because you saw something good?

I have some strange ones on my list.

The Star Wars Special Edition releases go without saying, as do the Lord of the Rings movies.
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy makes me feel good every time. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it always makes me happy.
James and the Giant Peach: I'd been having a really bad year when I saw this movie. Something about the trippy experience of watching a bunch of bugs sail a peach across the ocean made the world feel a little bit better.
Fantastic Four: I know it isn't the best Superhero movie out there, but it's a lot of fun.

What about you all?

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
Re: Flicks that make you feel good!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 11:29:49 AM »

The remastered Superman movie with Christopher Reeve and V For Vendetta.

Also when we saw Transformers: The Movie on the -big screen- at BotCon 2000, but I'm sure that's unique only to us.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 11:44:49 AM »
The Princess Bride.

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 12:26:42 PM »
School of Rock.
Star Wars OT
The Goonies
Monster Squad

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 12:27:43 PM »
The best cinema experience I ever had was my first viewing of Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace.

It was in a very large, THX theater, and the picture and sound were beyond perfect. To this day, this experience has NOT been duplicated. Some have come marginally close, but none have reached that level. It's too bad the theater lost favor with THX and lost its quality.

The only other experience that can come close was Titanic. I saw it in the Historic General Cinema 1 in Dallas Texas. The picture and sound were second only to SW EP 1. There were so many people in the theater, many of them elderly. But the experience was electrifying! Despite all the laughability of the flick, it still was excellent.

Oh, and the first time I saw a Star Wars flick in a theater was with the re-release in 1997. Seeing that first dive into the trenches of the Death Star was amazing!!!!!!

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 12:29:49 PM »
Superman the Movie (Make feel good everytime i watch it)
Superman 2 (both Versions)
Spider-man 2
E.t
Star Wars the Return of the Jedi
Batman Mask of the Phantasm
Batman Begins.
V For Vendetta
Fantastic Four
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 12:36:20 PM by Road_Element »

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 12:34:37 PM »
MST3k the movie makes me feel good. It was this movie that reminded me that I am an MST fan and re-kindled my love for the show. I could watch this movie every day.

I always get a good laugh whenever I re-watch Zoolander or Anchorman.

I had a good experience watching FOTR on the big screen...and going back to watch Two Towers and Return of the King.

Offline SaucyRossy

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 12:37:51 PM »
Gammer I love your new Avatar...

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline David

• Liked: 48
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 01:30:26 PM »
I guess mine would include Back to the Future (especially the first one) and Groundhog Day.

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 01:34:56 PM »
Feelin' Good....

Star Wars - the very moment that Death Star explodes, my heart stops beating and I'm legally dead for two seconds (every time)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - something about Connery and Ford together just rock in this movie

Patriot - Mel Gibson is HILARIOUS in this movie. Seriously, throw back and riff on this one with your family.

Double Indemnity - /Wicked/ awesome dialogue (I want to start talkin' like that, chicky-baby)

LOTR Series - It's really a tragedy though, Sam never gets to proclaim his love to that which he cares for most....

Space Jam - Looney tunes...need I say more? Oh yeah.... Basketball also (my favorite spectator sport). PS When Daffy says "Just stay outta my way" at th very end, I /always/ crack up!

Toy Story 1 - It's just... legendary in this industry

Hook - Dustin Hoffman rocks and Julia Roberts plays a rather sexy Tink imho

Anchorman - 60 percent of the time, this movie works every time at making me proud to be a San Diegan.

Number-One feel good movie for J!!!
"Blazin' Saddles" - I dunno why, but I watch this movie and throw back a big bowl of buttered popcorn and headaches miraculously go away! Leave it to a bunch of class-act Jewish comedians from New York to make one of the greatest Wetsern movies of all time =)

Soon-to-be feel good movie top ten choice:
The Simpsons Movie - I don't care if it sucks, it'll still be up there =)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 01:40:26 PM by J-Proof »
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 01:45:16 PM »
Having seen about five movies in the theater in the last decade limits me somewhat, but of those:

"Babe" -- I still tear up when Farmer Hoggett does his pig-cheering dance.

"Rushmore" -- Certain high profile folks are not fans of this film, but it made me feel glad to be alive and odd.

"Magnolia" -- After a three hour study in desperation, the bizarre but optimistic ending has tremendous impact.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2884
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 01:54:42 PM »
Mr. Proof, your bravery encourages me to stand up and say I ALSO liked Space Jam. :^) Not a big fan of Basketball or sports movies in general, but Space Jam was just fun enough to work. :^) Looney Tunes: Back in Action was also much better than one would expect. Lotta neat inside jokes.

And all that reminds me of the most feel-goodiest movie of all for me:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Sounds silly, but that movie helped me shape my life philosophy. :^)

Quoth the Rabbit: "Listen, my philosophy is this: If you don't have a good sense of humor, you're better off dead."
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 02:01:10 PM by Pak-Man »

Offline EVOLUTION117

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 03:48:04 PM »
Superman Movies.

Mostly due to that Classic Theme brought to us by John Williams, you can't help but feel good when you hear that music playing.

That combined with what may be happening on Screen at the time, whether it be Superman saving Lois as she falls from the Daily Planet and catches both her and the Helicopter or when Superman makes his Triumphant return saving the Shuttle and the 777, you can't help but feel the same way that all of the people in the movies who have just witnessed these amazing feats feel.

Not so much in awe of the man or the feat, but rather, simply and purely that Superman is here, and all will be well.

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 04:03:24 PM »
The Princess Bride.
Also, Lawrence of Arabia (it is also my favorite movie, but it makes me feel good independently of that because of the warm memory of seeing it in a theater with my Dad),
Yellow Submarine,
Help,
Hard Day's Night,
American Beauty (this one also is due largely to first viewing memories),
The Muppet Movie,
Muppets from Space,
A Fish Called Wanda,
Labyrinth,
and Mirrormask

but right now, above all comes
Stop Making Sense

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 04:14:29 PM »
Mr. Proof, your bravery encourages me to stand up and say I ALSO liked Space Jam. :^) Not a big fan of Basketball or sports movies in general, but Space Jam was just fun enough to work. :^) Looney Tunes: Back in Action was also much better than one would expect. Lotta neat inside jokes.

And all that reminds me of the most feel-goodiest movie of all for me:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Sounds silly, but that movie helped me shape my life philosophy. :^)

Quoth the Rabbit: "Listen, my philosophy is this: If you don't have a good sense of humor, you're better off dead."

Amen! And I'm tacking on ANYthing muppet (including Yoda) cuz muppets flippin' rock also. If I were a fraggle, I'm sure I'd be a blue one with really spikey hair....
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...