Author Topic: Upsetting Shorts  (Read 1705 times)

Offline TVsAdam

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • Personal text for a personal touch
    • Upsetting Shorts (my iRiffs group)
Upsetting Shorts
« on: September 19, 2008, 09:49:38 AM »
For the past few months I and an old friend of mine have been doing some fan riffs on YouTube under the name Upsetting Shorts.  I wanted to establish a nice little catalog before posting about it on here, and last night I just added our 7th riff, and I think that's a pretty good number.  Also, after nothing but positive feedback all this time from friends and random folks who happened upon it, today we got our very first negative comment telling us we're not funny and we should "give it up", so I feel like we've officially arrived.

So, you know, if you're into this sort of thing, please take a look and tell us what you think.  Criticism of the constructive variety would be most welcome, but I think we might like unabashed praise a little bit more.

http://www.youtube.com/tvsadam

(Incidentally, my personal favorite of the bunch is "The Joy of Living With Fragrance.")

Offline JoshWay

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 3
  • My mother was a demon!
    • My iRiffs
Re: Upsetting Shorts
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 10:25:24 AM »
I watched "Living with Fragrance." Funny! Pretty solid writing. A little repetitive, but so is the short. The riffers are mixed too quiet, often overwhelmed by the movie audio. One of the riffers is too close to his mic. I give those crits humbly, as someone who has committed his share of audio-related riffing crimes. (I checked out a bit of another short, "Carnivorous Plants", and the audio mix was better.)

Keep it up!

Invader_quirk

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 10:38:22 AM »
I watched Way Station in Space part 1. You have good jokes, but they're not as funny as they should be because there's no energy from the riffers. I know they're good jokes, but they don't quite work as well as they should. It seems like you're almost apologetic about the whole thing. With some energy, I think it'd be twice as good and really solid.

Offline TVsAdam

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 02:00:32 PM »
Thanks to both of you; it's good to know the biggest problems are in the areas I expected - technology and delivery.  (At the moment I'm recording these late at night, in an apartment building with paper-thin walls, with my girlfriend asleep in the next room, so it's an unfortunate by-product that they're low on energy.)

BTW, Josh, that's actually just me riffing. Tim and I co-write the scripts and then I just do the recording, at least for now.  Seems like I'm moving around a bunch during the recording or something, making me too close to the mic in some spots; maybe a headset would help?

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 03:00:28 PM »
Speaking of upsetting shorts..........

Offline TVsAdam

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 05:29:49 PM »
Speaking of upsetting shorts..........

I don't know; that other dude looks pretty happy about them.