login

Author Topic: Netflix "Collectors Edition" of Alien ok?  (Read 6238 times)

Offline rolypolyman

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
Netflix "Collectors Edition" of Alien ok?
« on: September 16, 2008, 08:36:25 AM »
Netflix carries Alien: Collector's Edition, part of the Alien Quadrilogy.  Would this work ok?  Anyone tried this Netflix version?

I see references in this subforum to a distinction between the Directors Cut and the Theatrical Release, but nothing about whether Directors Cut equals Collectors Edition.

Tim

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2609
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Netflix "Collectors Edition" of Alien ok?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 03:46:47 PM »
If it's part of the Quadrilogy set, it should have both versions I believe.  When the track was released the were suggesting either the Collectors Edition 2 pack that was sold separately, or the Quadrilogy.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 96
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 09:03:52 AM »
Netflix carries Alien: Collector's Edition, part of the Alien Quadrilogy.  Would this work ok?  Anyone tried this Netflix version?

I see references in this subforum to a distinction between the Directors Cut and the Theatrical Release, but nothing about whether Directors Cut equals Collectors Edition.

Tim

You'll be fine.

Offline rolypolyman

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 03:04:32 PM »
OK, I just went through the process of combining the Rifftrax Alien with the Netflix Collectors Edition Alien, and the answer is NO.  If I perfectly sync the first Disembaudio mark (the one saying "You'll get what you're contracted for") then move to the end, the last Disembaudio mark kicks in at 1:52:11.  But the dialogue in the movie says the line at 1:52:27.

Sixteen second difference.

:(
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 05:09:02 AM by rolypolyman »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2609
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 03:14:28 PM »
OK, I just went through the process of combining the Rifftrax Alien with the Netflix Collectors Edition Alien, and the answer is NO.  If I perfectly sync the first Disembaudio mark (the one saying "You'll get what you're contracted for") then move to the end, the last Disembaudio mark kicks in at 1:52:11.  But the dialogue in the movie says the line at 1:52:27.

Sixteen second difference.

:(

So if you depend on the Netflix pipeline for your Rifftrax enjoyment, Alien should be skipped.

If its like the collectors edition that I have, there are two versions of the movie on the same disc.  Theres the 117 minute theatrical edition, and the 116 minute directors cut (you want the directors cut) take a look if you still haven't sent it back yet.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline rolypolyman

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 03:31:22 PM »
Interesting... I'll dig into this some more and report back.  Working on Rifftrax Star Wars III at the moment.

MontyServo

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 03:34:11 PM »
If I remember correctly, they "accidentally" used the director's cut for the riff.  But that cut is on all of the newer DVD versions of Alien, so it was no big deal.  Unless you were trying to watch the Rifftrax with an old VHS copy of the movie, then you might have a few issues.   ;D

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 96
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 05:12:30 PM »
We got the disc from Netflix.  Make sure you're using the directors cut.

Offline rolypolyman

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 05:08:31 AM »
Well, in DVD Decrypter there's no way to tell which track is which.  But I'm glad to report success.  I had to go with VTS_02/PGC 1.  That did the trick.  Thanks!