Author Topic: AC/DC - New Album and Whatnot  (Read 4003 times)

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
AC/DC - New Album and Whatnot
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:00:50 PM »
AC/DC, to me, represents the perfect embodiment of all that is good and right about being dumb.  Not literally dumb, understand - not the "too dumb to live" kind.  No, I mean the harmless kind of dumb - going out, getting hammered, flirting with women, and having a good time.  The kind that isn't really dumb at all.  (Indeed, you have to be pretty smart to write a song as hilariously, intentionally juvenile as "Big Balls").  Their songs kick ass, both in a straightforward sense and a tongue-in-cheek Spinal Tap sort of way.  It's that fine line between stupid and clever, and they walk it so well.  Really, they're too good to be taken seriously.

Thus, I think it is fitting and proper that a thread be dedicated to this great rock band (and their upcoming album, which, judging from the single they've released, will be awesome).  Bon Scott vs. Brian Johnson debates are welcome, as long as you keep it civil.

So...for those about to rock............was actually kind of a disappointing album compared to its predecessor.  You probably thought I was going to go with the obvious "finish the rest of the lyric and start the thread" thing, didn't you?  Well, I didn't do that.  So nyeah.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 08:19:11 PM by BBQ Platypus »
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
Re: AC/DC - New Album and Whatnot
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 09:01:56 AM »
I'm quite envigorated by "Rock and Roll Train," I think it's terrific.  Brian Johnson's voice hasn't sounded this good in ages (maybe since Flick of the Switch), and the backing vocals made me think of the Highway to Hell album.  It SOUNDS wonderful. 

I actually was listening to some AC/DC the other day, as "You Ain't Got A Hold On Me" came on.  Man, that song almost qualifies as funky.  I love it. 

Offline Rude

• Forum Czar
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:22:46 PM »

AC/DC is one of the few bands left that i intend on breaking my "no mega-venues" pledge to see live.

-Rude
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:30:40 PM by Rude »
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Rude

• Forum Czar
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 03:55:24 PM »

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Tickets for AC/DC are $90 at the Oakland Arena! And that's before TicketBastard adds whatever service charges, handling fees and made-up nonsense to the final total. You could conceivably end up paying nearly $120 for nosebleed seats to watch the entire concert on a jumbotron.

I think i might have to reconsider my pledge to see AC/DC live before i die.

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2400
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 04:13:07 PM »
I saw them way back in the late 80's and they were very good to say the least.   

Was on a double bill with the Scorpions as I recall.

Yes, I am old.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 05:36:08 PM »

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Tickets for AC/DC are $90 at the Oakland Arena! And that's before TicketBastard adds whatever service charges, handling fees and made-up nonsense to the final total. You could conceivably end up paying nearly $120 for nosebleed seats to watch the entire concert on a jumbotron.

I think i might have to reconsider my pledge to see AC/DC live before i die.

-Rude

Yikes! I thought it was bad shelling out $67 (50 plus 17 for service charges) for my Weezer floor ticket in October.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 05:41:10 PM »
Bah!  I paid $60 just to RESERVE A SPOT for my Who tickets last year (it was part of a special club membership).  And they were WORTH EVERY PENNY, dammit!  Ninth row, baby!

Offline Wheaty Petestraw

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 07:41:12 PM »
For $120, I'd rather just watch one of their live DVDs.

Now, the current Carcass tour on the other hand is worth every penny. Tickets are roughly $50 and you get to not only see Carcass, but Suffocation, 1349, Aborted.. and in some markets, Necrophagist and Dying Fetus. That's one hell of a stacked tour.
my entry made my girlfriend laugh a few times, the best I can hope for really.

I'd say Whalberg definately qualifies as really good.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 07:55:07 PM »
Bah!  I paid $60 just to RESERVE A SPOT for my Who tickets last year (it was part of a special club membership).  And they were WORTH EVERY PENNY, dammit!  Ninth row, baby!

I saw the Who in 1982 in St. Louis......... yes, I am still old.

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 08:08:20 PM »

I saw the Who in 1982 in St. Louis......... yes, I am still old.

Hey, "old" is a state of mind, not a number.  Cheer up, you.

Offline Rude

• Forum Czar
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 08:12:02 PM »

No, no, no... age is definitely a number. And you are definitely old. Sorry, buddy.  ;)

-Rude

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 09:19:47 AM »
I'm not old, I'm 20.  I still have my whole life left to piss away.

Offline Rude

• Forum Czar
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 09:44:09 AM »

Not you, ya' drunk...

-Rude

Offline James of LinHood

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 2
  • Romans 12:2
    • The Facebookz
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 09:45:04 AM »
I'm planning on getting some AC/DC tix for their show here in MN on November 23rd.  Should be a kick ass show.  I just hope that I don't go deaf.   :P
Imrahil: Don't care about Riding with Death.

Bob: Turkey.

Action Batch:  Woah, let's all mellow out and rap about this.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 03:24:36 PM »

No, no, no... age is definitely a number. And you are definitely old. Sorry, buddy.  ;)

-Rude

Ha-Ha, you will be paying into social security for my retirement!