Author Topic: When Did the MTV VMAs Become Irrelevant  (Read 3928 times)

Offline TMC1982

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
When Did the MTV VMAs Become Irrelevant
« on: September 08, 2008, 04:41:34 PM »
The Video Music Awards used to be a really big deal for me when I was in middle and high school. They were basically, a less stuffy and more irreverent version of more established/mainstream shows like the Grammys or American Music Awards. For some reason, I just don't have a lot of the enthusiasm to want to prepare to watch them in recent years. Maybe part of the problem is that I'm getting older and have other affairs to attend to.

First and foremost, what's killing the buzz for the VMAs if you ask me, is MTV's deemphasis on music videos. It's simple logic that it's a bit hard to want to follow the nominees if MTV is spending most of their energy on a yearly basis airing vapid reality shows like "The Hills". And no, the clip show that is "TRL" or airing the videos in late night/early morning time slots (I don't know if they still do that today, since I haven't really paid close attention to MTV recently) doesn't really count.

Another thing that has been affecting the VMAs has been them tinkering with the format. The VMAs used to be held on the first Thursday in September. It was a three hour (minimum) show held at either the Gibson Amphitheater in Los Angeles or Radio City Music Hall in New York City. Why for the past two years or so, has the buildings that held the VMAs been so small?

MTV would get a popular and entertaining comedian to host (e.g. Dan Aykroyd, Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall, Dana Carvey, Roseanne Barr, Dennis Miller, Chris Rock, Ben Stiller, Jack Black, etc.). When I heard that Russell Brand was going to host, the first thing that went in my mind was "Who the hell is Russell Brand!?" I haven't seen "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", and not being from the UK, I obviously wasn't familiar to his brand of humor. MTV would also routinely pair up seemingly mismatched people to present like RuPaul and Milton Berle, Tony Bennett and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Martha Stewart and Busta Rhymes, etc.

Now, everything is so slickly produced to the point in which that feeling of live, spontaneous energy seems to be severely lacking. The worst period of this was them airing the VMAs at a slower frame rate (circa 2002-2003) to give a more "cinematic" presentation.

I also find it kind of hypocritical of MTV to still want to give us the impression that they're edgy with the VMAs all the while, having teenybopper acts like the Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, the cast of "High School Musical", just to name a few in the building. You know you're in deep trouble when Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera are seemingly at this point, the "elder states people" for MTV.

The awards themselves don't have much credibility anymore. I seems like it's becoming of an obvious popularity contest (how else can you explain the Pussycat Dolls winning). Is there anything more contrived than having Britney Spears win three awards (when prior to all of this, she never won a Video Music Awards), including "Video of the Year"? And of course, this conveniently happens one year after her infamous performance at the VMAs.

23 Hours of Non Music Television

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
Re: When Did the MTV VMAs Become Irrelevant
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 05:01:09 PM »
Even putting aside the fact that MTV barely shows videos anymore, I remember when the VMAs had nominees that were actually great videos.  And I know great videos are still being made, I see them on YouTube on sometimes even on VH1 in the morning.  But those few great videos aren't the ones being nominated.  The videos are all your standard generic "pop star singing while dressed trendily/sluttily" nothing specials.  It wasn't that long ago that videos like "Fell In Love With a Girl" and "Tonight Tonight" won Moonmen.  Lately it's just been depressing.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 05:02:45 PM »
To simplify, the VMAs became irrelevant at the same time MTV became irrelevant.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Wheaty Petestraw

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 06:53:40 PM »
When was ANY award show EVER relevant?
my entry made my girlfriend laugh a few times, the best I can hope for really.

I'd say Whalberg definately qualifies as really good.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 08:44:12 PM »
It's nothing more than a popularity contest. Never been anything else.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 10:35:10 PM »
A: When you got old.

Also I find it odd you're complaining the host was someone funny as opposed to Roseanne Barr, Dennis Miller, Chris Rock or Ben Stiller.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 06:03:02 AM »

Also I find it odd you're complaining the host was someone funny as opposed to Roseanne Barr, Dennis Miller, Chris Rock or Ben Stiller.

Have you ever read Roseanne's blog?  That's funny.  Probably not in the way it is supposed to be funny, but still funny.
On timeout

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 06:04:27 AM »

You don't think Chris Rock is funny?

Why are you on a comedy website's message board if you don't like comedy?
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 07:06:04 AM »

You don't think Chris Rock is funny?

Why are you on a comedy website's message board if you don't like comedy?

Here we go again.

You like something, right? That does not make it unilaterally awesome. It's a matter of taste. I personally don't think Chris Rock is remotely funny.  You do. You are not correct. I am not correct. It's OPINION.

Here endeth the lesson.

That comment had absolutely nothing to do with my personal opinions. Just that Rock is so highly ranked by many top comedians. That's all.

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 09:31:15 AM »
When was ANY award show EVER relevant?

word.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 04:38:34 PM »
I don't give two-fifths of a month-old dog turd for the VMAs.  Never have, never will.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 05:04:27 PM »
Here we go again.

You like something, right? That does not make it unilaterally awesome. It's a matter of taste. I personally don't think Chris Rock is remotely funny.  You do. You are not correct. I am not correct. It's OPINION.

Here endeth the lesson.

Times like this we need a beating your head against a brick wall emoticon, good on you for not giving up though.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 06:38:56 PM »
To simplify, the VMAs became irrelevant at the same time MTV became irrelevant.

Or, as some of us like to call it, 1988.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Wheaty Petestraw

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 06:57:01 PM »

Times like this we need a beating your head against a brick wall emoticon, good on you for not giving up though.

Maybe if we all banged our heads against a brick wall, some of the shit Isaac says might start making sense.
my entry made my girlfriend laugh a few times, the best I can hope for really.

I'd say Whalberg definately qualifies as really good.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 07:01:10 PM »

Maybe if we all banged our heads against a brick wall, some of the shit Isaac says might start making sense.

Nothing anyone could ever do could make sentences like "Kool Keith influenced Esham", "Hed PE sucks" and "Roots is the worst metal album of all time" make sense. ::)