Author Topic: Movie Talk  (Read 13853 times)

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Movie Talk
« on: December 04, 2006, 11:12:21 AM »
Use this board for talking about anything movie related, whether it's MST3K movies or even movies that have been riffed.

Keep in mind if you're going to suggest a movie do it here: Suggest-A-Trax http://www.rifftrax.com/smf/index.php?board=19.0

Or if you're talking about a movie and its RiffTrax commentary, do that here: Individual RiffTrax Discussion http://www.rifftrax.com/smf/index.php?board=20.0

Enjoy and let me know if anything should be changed.

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
Re: Movie Talk
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 02:07:59 PM »
So...What kinds of music do people like?   ;D

Oh, I really enjoy action/adventures ::)

;D

Soguru

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 02:46:35 PM »
Thinking about it, the biggest weakness of The Lord of the Rings trilogy is all the dialogue and exposition. I understand it's a huge, huge story adapted from something like a 1000 pages worth of books, but wouldn't it be more time-efficient to tell the story through other means other than dialogue or monologues? Peter Jackson is talented for certain, but I'm not sure if he's talented enough to do that. If there is another Lord of the rings trilogy ever made, that's probably the only possible thing that can be improved upon. If only Stanley Kubrick were still alive and had the constitution to make three huge movies...

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5175
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 08:55:27 AM »
Whew boy.  Let's be thankful for small favours.  Like this not being a thing.

http://oneperfectshotdb.com/2016/02/must-read-this-gremlins-reboot-would-have-been-insane/

Oddly, there's misspelling both in the pitch (distruction) and in the introduction to the pitch (Firday).  Come on, people.  At least use spell check.

Anyway, it's a pretty lame and dull pitch.  Mostly I'm sharing because I'm always interested in "What ifs" in pop culture.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5894
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 10:29:18 AM »
Whew boy.  Let's be thankful for small favours.  Like this not being a thing.

http://oneperfectshotdb.com/2016/02/must-read-this-gremlins-reboot-would-have-been-insane/

Oddly, there's misspelling both in the pitch (distruction) and in the introduction to the pitch (Firday).  Come on, people.  At least use spell check.

Anyway, it's a pretty lame and dull pitch.  Mostly I'm sharing because I'm always interested in "What ifs" in pop culture.
Eh, doesn't seem so bad. I like the escalation from the previous movies where it's difficult to find the Mogwai, and the plane crash escalates the consequences. If anything, I think making it still be about a small town is too much like the first one. I'd rather them overrunning a city. That was the threat in the second.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 05:22:45 PM »
If you are interested in seeing how a film might be translated into another language, taking into account wordplay and cultural references that wouldn't travel, you might want to read this.

https://legendsoflocalization.com/ghostbusters-in-japanese/

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 06:34:58 PM »
I've talked about before about how I'm not THAT into horror films and yet... I have seen a big transformation in myself when it comes to my feelings about that genre over the past couple years. I actually kind of like horror now, generally speaking. As long as things don't get ridiculously gory, I'm game. I'm looking forward to Midsommar, It Chapter 2, and finally seeing Us.

Not sure what I can attribute this change in heart to. After all, horror movies(again, generally speaking) don't scare me that much.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 07:05:54 AM »
I've talked about before about how I'm not THAT into horror films and yet... I have seen a big transformation in myself when it comes to my feelings about that genre over the past couple years. I actually kind of like horror now, generally speaking. As long as things don't get ridiculously gory, I'm game. I'm looking forward to Midsommar, It Chapter 2, and finally seeing Us.

Not sure what I can attribute this change in heart to. After all, horror movies(again, generally speaking) don't scare me that much.
Wow. Sounds look I'm on a similar path. I've seen Us and am looking forward to Midsommar and IT 2. And two of my favorite movies I've seen within the past year are the original Suspiria and Possession (1981). I don't care for gore or schlock, so if the horror movies I see can keep it to really moody and atmospheric psychological thriller territory, I'm usually pretty satisfied.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 12:31:41 PM »
I feel it is rare to for me to be scared watching a horror movie but I still like the genre a lot.  If you ever need recommendations, I got a lot.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 12:49:47 PM »
I feel it is rare to for me to be scared watching a horror movie but I still like the genre a lot.  If you ever need recommendations, I got a lot.
Suspiria is the only Argento film I've seen. What do you recommend as a follow-up to it from him? Would you go with the sequel or is there something better of his that I should see?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 05:27:08 PM »
Well, I haven't seen a lot but I hear his latter day works are... not good.  Try some of his giallo films.  The giallo is the precursor to the modern slasher but with some more difference: they tend to be detective whodunit stories but with more blood and horror.  As I said, I don't scare from a lot of these movies but the guy knows what scares me here: realizing you are not alone.  I've only seen a couple but I like Deep Red a lot.  It's not as over the top stylish and one of the deaths is sort of darkly funny (I don't know if intentionally) but shit, that seen with the doll freaked me out when I first saw it.

I have yet to see Inferno, but it is generally considered to be, while not as good as Suspiria, a good movie.  I haven't seen Mother of Tears, the last in the trilogy, but it was mostly received poorly.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 307
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 07:59:24 AM »
Well, I haven't seen a lot but I hear his latter day works are... not good.  Try some of his giallo films.  The giallo is the precursor to the modern slasher but with some more difference: they tend to be detective whodunit stories but with more blood and horror.  As I said, I don't scare from a lot of these movies but the guy knows what scares me here: realizing you are not alone.  I've only seen a couple but I like Deep Red a lot.  It's not as over the top stylish and one of the deaths is sort of darkly funny (I don't know if intentionally) but shit, that seen with the doll freaked me out when I first saw it.

I have yet to see Inferno, but it is generally considered to be, while not as good as Suspiria, a good movie.  I haven't seen Mother of Tears, the last in the trilogy, but it was mostly received poorly.

I've never cared much for Argento. He's good with set pieces, the murders, but the rest of his movies lack imagination. I'd much rather watch one of Fulci's twisted films. He's a sloppier director but they're a lot of fun. House by the Cemetery is a good one to start with.