Author Topic: Thoughts??  (Read 13836 times)

Offline JoshWay

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • My mother was a demon!
    • My iRiffs
Re: Thoughts??
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 12:36:19 PM »
I got MY autographed photo of Bill. I was a little disappointed that it was just a photocopy, but I'm not one to complain!

Just to clarify:  technically my name, but signed by the kid down the street.  (500 sigs / $1.00)

(And yes, it was a photocopy.  But it was a picture of Clint Howard.)

Your reward for a job well done!!

And oh, am I grateful! Just a little curious as to why it arrived so crinkled and moist...

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked:
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 12:38:43 PM »
I got MY autographed photo of Bill. I was a little disappointed that it was just a photocopy, but I'm not one to complain!

Just to clarify:  technically my name, but signed by the kid down the street.  (500 sigs / $1.00)

(And yes, it was a photocopy.  But it was a picture of Clint Howard.)

Your reward for a job well done!!

And oh, am I grateful! Just a little curious as to why it arrived so crinkled and moist...

Thank you for the mental image.     I am know sworn off solid foods for a week.

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 09:11:55 PM »
This is a VERY good riff. The second hour really kicks into overdrive. To date the best of the Rifftrax Presents catalogue.  :)
But I do have to admit I was a bit suprised to hear Bill say "You know what? Screw Chad!"  :'(      (lol)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 09:34:09 PM by CHF01 »

Doc Steve

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 07:52:34 AM »
Josh Fruhlinger really made Spider-Man 2 for me.  I would have to agree that this is the best of the RiffTrax Presents I have seen. 

Fruhlinger is probably the second-best guest riffer I have heard as well.  (Second to Neil Patrick Harris in Willy Wonka.)

My favorites were probably the riffs in which Fruhlinger pointed out all of the comic book cliches.  ("A happy marriage in a comic book universe?  She won't be around for Act III...")   

A lot of people don't know it, but "Faith No More" was originally named "Spider-Man No More," but Stan Lee sued 'em.  Yep, it's true. 

Offline Bairman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 08:02:22 AM »
I thought it was a standard offering, by which I mean... I thought it was funny, but there's no danger of it entering my Top 10.

Doc Steve

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2008, 08:03:45 AM »
Almost forgot something I noticed about the movie itself.

I had never seen any of the three Spider-Man movies before watching them with RiffTrax.   Therefore, I was genuinely surprised that the main character arcs of Spider-Man 2 could have been readily covered by making the first Spider-Man about fifteen minutes longer.  Think about it.  
1.  Peter has to choose between being Spider-Man and his love for Mary Jane.  This was theoretically decided at the end of the first movie.  Most of the second movie could be written off as picking at that scab.  
2.  Harry becomes the Hobgoblin or whatever.  Again, this entire development is clearly indicated at the end of the first movie.  

At any rate, I would have directed a few riffs at this situation.  Spider-Man 2 is quite literally filler when considered in this light.  

Offline JoshWay

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • My mother was a demon!
    • My iRiffs
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 10:01:28 AM »

I had never seen any of the three Spider-Man movies before watching them with RiffTrax.   Therefore, I was genuinely surprised that the main character arcs of Spider-Man 2 could have been readily covered by making the first Spider-Man about fifteen minutes longer.  Think about it.  
1.  Peter has to choose between being Spider-Man and his love for Mary Jane.  This was theoretically decided at the end of the first movie.  Most of the second movie could be written off as picking at that scab.  
2.  Harry becomes the Hobgoblin or whatever.  Again, this entire development is clearly indicated at the end of the first movie.  

At any rate, I would have directed a few riffs at this situation.  Spider-Man 2 is quite literally filler when considered in this light.  

You know, you're right. The movie pretty much circles the drain in terms of plot. It's pretty entertaining, but it doesn't really accomplish anything.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 10:53:54 AM »
Well, I hate to say it, but the riff kind of fell flat for me and I'm not quite sure as to why. I laughed at quite a few of the riffs, but as a whole the track just was kind of  "meh."  Maybe it was that the track felt a bit mean spirited. Maybe it was that I hadn't seen the original in a while. Maybe it was just Josh. But as a whole, I just didn't really like it.

Doc Steve

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 11:33:33 AM »

You know, you're right. The movie pretty much circles the drain in terms of plot. It's pretty entertaining, but it doesn't really accomplish anything.

Thanks.

In a way, it may have contributed to Spider-Man 3 being so darn cluttered.  It would have made more sense for Harry and Spidey to fight at least once before in Spider-Man 2

From a RiffTrax perspective, I tend to think of the "franchise" films as a unit.  That is, after a week or so, I begin to forget which lines went to which movie.  (At least I did with the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy and the Harry Potter series.)  In other words, I liked Spider-Man 2 the best, but before too long, I will probably have forgotten why. 

Offline Moxobna

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2008, 03:20:08 AM »
I enjoyed this Rifftrax so very, very much that I watched it again the next day. (And, you know. I hate Spiderman.)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2008, 07:11:47 PM »
We just caught up with this one!

Great Riff!

I think it is the best Kevin-and-Bill-without-Mike outing by far!

I thought Josh did great (hope he comes back!)

Made my opinion of Spider-Man 2 change from, "eh, it's ok," to "fuck that movie."
FINE

Offline MST3Kgirl

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2008, 11:56:15 AM »
I LOVED this riff. One of my favorites. Def a 9-10  :highfive:

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2008, 05:28:15 PM »
7/10

I could tell the writing on this one was different but I had no idea it was you guys. My thought was that it was more Corbett-y. Several of the jokes were pretty "out-there." I wonder whose those were (I can't think of any specifically...) One of my favorite lines was "I put the lime on the coconut by mistake."

I thought the guest riffer didn't really add anything, not that he was bad per se. Overall it was a good track.

Offline NYFalcon1981

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 06:11:24 PM »
Time to revive this puppy with some nerd opinion!  While not quite a 10 , it scored 9.6 and CRUSHED the laugh a minute mark  :highfive:

I love this track!  In fact I liked it more than Spidey 1

I had this rated quite strongly, In fact I'll say it's in my personal top 15.  It was near perfect for me, solid team work, I enjoyed all 3 riffers (bill wins over Josh by 1.5 laughs)

I enjoyed this one slightly more than Iron Man and that one is mucho fun!

Watchman

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2010, 08:33:33 PM »
 :clap: Thoroughly enjoyed this riff (much more than seeing the film at the cinema). Great job, Josh.

Spider-Man 2 was the first of several highly acclaimed superhero sequels where I found myself alone in my shrugging letdown & preference of their predecessors.

NEXT: The Dark Knight; consequently, one of my favorite Riffs period.
FINALLY: Hellboy II. No riff for this, but I'd love to once again have a riff that turns my disappointments into jokes.