login

Author Topic: This really passes for a "band"??  (Read 30741 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: This really passes for a "band"??
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2008, 04:20:03 AM »
Why the weird masks and repeated reminders in their press releases that Iowa is also home to a number of serial killers?

Yeah, they live in a really rough neighborhood in Des Moines...  ::) 
Some co-workers drove me by their place while I was out there.  They live around the corner from an art museum in a really nice house.  And they're just normal looking guys who look like they work in an office when they're not in costume.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2008, 05:29:40 AM »
All you have to do is listen to their music. That's all the proof you need that they're not all that hard core. Heck, any band that uses "scratching" can't be that heavy...

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2008, 09:40:39 AM »
All you have to do is listen to their music. That's all the proof you need that they're not all that hard core. Heck, any band that uses "scratching" can't be that heavy...

I disagree. I think that a band could be 'heavy' and incorporate scratching into its music.
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2008, 11:24:07 AM »

I disagree. I think that a band could be 'heavy' and incorporate scratching into its music.
Maybe if they had a distortion & an overdrive pedal with a badass flanger, an old Ibanez analog delay and maybe a Korg Kaoss pad, But only with those things. How do you feel about electric triangles? Yay or nay?

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2008, 11:44:20 AM »
How do you feel about electric triangles? Yay or nay?

Only if I get to play the lead.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2008, 12:38:24 PM »
Yikes. I've never had less faith in mainstream music than I do now.  :P  It'll be hard not to punch the first person I meet who actually thinks this band is good in the face, and I already have a hard time not punching all the people I know who like Celine Dion (which, sadly, is still a lot).

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1267
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2008, 04:41:40 PM »
Really?  This is what pushed you over the edge?  You kept the faith through Jack Johnson, the Macarena, Nickleback, Phil Collins and god knows what else and some kids in masks is the last straw.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2008, 04:54:09 PM »
Losing faith is a gradual process, what can I say?

Tell me that video doesn't want to make you punch someone. Seriously. Or at least gently push them.

Offline ninjacat11

• Magneto-cent Member
  • The Literal Surrealist
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2008, 05:30:40 PM »
Wait, so they're My Chemical Romance/Eminem? Kill it. With fire.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1267
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2008, 05:58:09 PM »
Losing faith is a gradual process, what can I say?

Tell me that video doesn't want to make you punch someone. Seriously. Or at least gently push them.

The only way I can imagine ever hearing or seeing it is if I'm actively seeking it and I doubt I will be so whatever.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Wheaty Petestraw

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2008, 06:30:16 PM »
I'd say nu-metal is a genre personally but I don't care enough to get into it, I could also point out many posts where you've stated your opinion as fact but again I don't think it would actually help at all.

To sidetrack back to the topic, what the band dresses or looks like seems pretty irrelivant to me.  Clearly with this band it's part of their image/appeal/marketing strategy/problem (choose as you see fit) but it doesn't phase me.

Nu metal is a sub-genre that describes the trend in which bands incorporated hip hop influence into their hard rock formula. The bands themselves are certainly not metal, but that doesn't automatically disqualify them from being good.. although I'm sure Isaac will come running in here screaming at any moment about how I'm not supposed to listen to anything but death metal.
my entry made my girlfriend laugh a few times, the best I can hope for really.

I'd say Whalberg definately qualifies as really good.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2008, 07:42:42 AM »
I'd say nu-metal is a genre personally but I don't care enough to get into it, I could also point out many posts where you've stated your opinion as fact but again I don't think it would actually help at all.

To sidetrack back to the topic, what the band dresses or looks like seems pretty irrelivant to me.  Clearly with this band it's part of their image/appeal/marketing strategy/problem (choose as you see fit) but it doesn't phase me.

Nu metal is a sub-genre that describes the trend in which bands incorporated hip hop influence into their hard rock formula. The bands themselves are certainly not metal, but that doesn't automatically disqualify them from being good.. although I'm sure Isaac will come running in here screaming at any moment about how I'm not supposed to listen to anything but death metal.

Why does EVERYTHING have to be an argument with you? You're always at the forefront of things, insisting that you are right whenever someone makes the slightest comment about how someone is wrong because you are right!

Take the 'what's that noise' thread. Why did my comment about Them or Us being underrated deserve a comment? Why did you think that you had to respond to that?!? "No, it's not underrated, it's just not as good as Sheik Yerbouti." What is your problem? I can see you arguing about the color of the sky:

Some Guy: The sky is blue.
Ingrown Asshair: No, it's not. It's turquoise!

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2008, 07:45:41 AM »
Face it, Isaac, you wouldn't continually respond to Ingrown in this manner if you didn't love to argue. And Ingrown wouldn't continually argue with you if you just stopped.

Face it. You complete eachother!

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2008, 07:47:25 AM »
Face it, Isaac, you wouldn't continually respond to Ingrown in this manner if you didn't love to argue. And Ingrown wouldn't continually argue with you if you just stopped.

I think the fact that I am not arguing in that post, but pointing out when someone else is arguing, blows your theory out of the water.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2008, 07:50:03 AM »

I think the fact that I am not arguing in that post, but pointing out when someone else is arguing, blows your theory out of the water.

And... you can't possibly stand to be on the losing side of an argument, so now you're setting yourself up to be the victor by debunking my theory that you just love to argue. Quid Pro Quo, Doctor.