Author Topic: WOOOO! I just beat ________!!!!!  (Read 96879 times)

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4410
Re: WOOOO! I just beat ________!!!!!
« Reply #705 on: August 15, 2019, 06:32:48 PM »
Beat Bloodstained.  I thought it was just ok.  The combat was pretty good, and exploring was interesting, but the story was crazy boring to the point where I could barely pay attention to the cut scenes and I never read any of the flavor text drops.  Which was fine except for two key areas where I got stuck because I had no idea what to do.  I'm assuming there must have been hints in all that boring text somewhere.
The way I see it, when you're playing a game like Bloodstained it's perfectly okay for story to take a backseat to gameplay. That's what I've always been about anyway is gameplay. All I really need is just a general narrative. Example: Contra: Alien invasion - Blow stuff up, beat bosses. Castlevania: Whip monsters, kill Dracula. Megaman - Steal powers, beat mad scientist. Dead or Alive - Bodacious big boobed babes beat bad bosses. Metroid - A loving tribute to the Alien series.

Now there are exceptions to this rule, like in a game like any Final Fantasy game story is absolutely necessary.

Problem was that it wasn't an attempt to recreate the Castlevania experience.
Technically it was.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 508
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #706 on: August 15, 2019, 06:41:47 PM »
Beat Bloodstained.  I thought it was just ok.  The combat was pretty good, and exploring was interesting, but the story was crazy boring to the point where I could barely pay attention to the cut scenes and I never read any of the flavor text drops.  Which was fine except for two key areas where I got stuck because I had no idea what to do.  I'm assuming there must have been hints in all that boring text somewhere.
The way I see it, when you're playing a game like Bloodstained it's perfectly okay for story to take a backseat to gameplay. That's what I've always been about anyway is gameplay. All I really need is just a general narrative. Example: Contra: Alien invasion - Blow stuff up, beat bosses. Castlevania: Whip monsters, kill Dracula. Megaman - Steal powers, beat mad scientist. Dead or Alive - Bodacious big boobed babes beat bad bosses. Metroid - A loving tribute to the Alien series.

Now there are exceptions to this rule, like in a game like any Final Fantasy game story is absolutely necessary.

Problem was that it wasn't an attempt to recreate the Castlevania experience.
Technically it was.

Not as described.

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1518
« Reply #707 on: August 16, 2019, 04:41:49 AM »

I agree with you 100%. The story should be able to just be in the background with this kind of game. However, there were multiple points where you couldn’t progress without having read a bunch of the boring text, unless you googled it. To get anything other than the lamest of endings that excludes at least 3 of the last bosses, the game requires you to read a ton of boring and convoluted text.  And I think that’s a problem.