Author Topic: WOOOO! I just beat ________!!!!!  (Read 110392 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1167
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
Re: WOOOO! I just beat ________!!!!!
« Reply #735 on: February 22, 2020, 07:46:41 PM »
Outer Wilds!

Brilliant game. I've heard this described as a "walking simulator", and that's not entirely inaccurate. It could also be considered a puzzle game of sorts. But first and foremost, it is a game of exploration. You explore your solar system, learn about the alien race that once inhabited it, the Nomai. Find out why they were there, what they were trying to do, and what happened to them. This is a game of knowledge. You start with all the equipment you'll ever have. You just have to figure out what to do with it.

The game has a built in "detective board" that's helps you conceptualize how all the information you glean fits together. You form a timeline of the Nomai, learn that they were not indigenous to this system, but were in fact here conducting experiments regarding quantum mechanics and the origins of reality. Eventually you figure out how this experiment is responsible for the time loop.

It's a beautiful game, with lots to explore. But you really have to enjoy exploration for its own sake. Once you know what to do, "beating" the game can be done in about 10 minutes. Also, the time loop mechanic can be a bit annoying. You have 22 minutes to reach a destination and explore it as thoroughly as you can before the sun explodes. And the game world is dynamic. Brittle Hollow is in the process of being consumed by a black hole. The Hourglass Twins are draining sand from one planet to the other, uncovering one while burying the other. This means some exploration is time sensitive.

All in all, an ingenious and wonderful game that is highly recommended. Rightfully regarded by many as one of the best games of 2019. Unfortunately, it's the sort of game you can really only play once. If you do play it, do so blind. 

Offline CJones

« Reply #736 on: February 22, 2020, 08:30:11 PM »
BTW, Noclip made a really good "Making of Outer Wilds" documentary. It's available on Youtube.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3885
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #737 on: March 01, 2020, 12:09:26 AM »
Well, it took *CHECKS* 86 hours of game time, but I'm finally in a place where I feel like I've conquered Stardew Valley. I completed all the bundles (Including the Missing Bundle), bought a house for Pam and Penny, appeased the Trash Bear, and got a perfect rating for my farm.

Oh, there's lots I could do still. I want to find an egg and raise a Dinosaur, it would be cool to complete the museum collection, and I never made it to level 100 of the skull cavern, but this game has been a monkey on my back for a month now, and I'm ready to play other things.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #738 on: March 01, 2020, 04:50:24 AM »
Well, it took *CHECKS* 86 hours of game time, but I'm finally in a place where I feel like I've conquered Stardew Valley. I completed all the bundles (Including the Missing Bundle), bought a house for Pam and Penny, appeased the Trash Bear, and got a perfect rating for my farm.

Oh, there's lots I could do still. I want to find an egg and raise a Dinosaur, it would be cool to complete the museum collection, and I never made it to level 100 of the skull cavern, but this game has been a monkey on my back for a month now, and I'm ready to play other things.

My girlfriend and I have been playing for a while now (even more fun in co-op) and now you’ve ensured that we will keep playing for quite some time. I haven’t done any of those things yet. But we’ve made it farther than I ever have on my own. I would burn out around the fall of my second year on my previous two play throughs. But now it’s winter of our second year and soon we’ll finally get a rating for our farm.

Offline Russoguru

• Liked: 1065
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #739 on: March 01, 2020, 06:15:38 PM »
I beat Castlevania 3: Dracula's curse.... the JAPANESE version. This came with the Castlevania Anniversary collection. It is significantly easier than it's NA counterpart. Still difficult but a breeze for any decent 2D Castlevania player.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3320
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #740 on: March 01, 2020, 09:22:00 PM »

Isn't there a big update on the way ;D
FINE

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3320
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #741 on: March 01, 2020, 09:23:43 PM »
We had a long weekend, and I finished Link's Awakening and started and finished Yoshi's Crafted World. Both were absolute delights.

I'll keep working towards 100% on Yoshi, although I doubt I'll get all the way there before Animal Crossing arrives.
FINE

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #742 on: March 02, 2020, 06:39:45 PM »

Isn't there a big update on the way ;D

He was playing the big update, it's been out on PC for a while.  However, even if you were just joking, he did say there is another update in the works.  But it will probably be quite some time before we even know what's going to be in it.

Offline CJones

« Reply #743 on: March 12, 2020, 01:54:50 PM »
I beat Castlevania 3: Dracula's curse.... the JAPANESE version. This came with the Castlevania Anniversary collection. It is significantly easier than it's NA counterpart. Still difficult but a breeze for any decent 2D Castlevania player.

Nice. CV3 was always my favorite of the old school Castlevanias.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #744 on: March 12, 2020, 03:50:48 PM »
Nice. CV3 was always my favorite of the old school Castlevanias.
It is a pretty awesome game, but it is hard as balls. I'm just proud that I've at least beat several entries in the series, Castlevania 1, Castlevania 2, Castlevania 3(technically speaking), Super Castlevania IV, SoTN, Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin. I'm pretty far from being great at Castlevania, generally speaking... but I do okay.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #745 on: March 12, 2020, 03:59:01 PM »
Respect. I can beat every NES Mega Man game, but the only NES Castlevania game I've ever conquered was 2. One of these days, Dracula!

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #746 on: March 12, 2020, 04:44:30 PM »
And I in turn give you props Pak for being able to beat Mega Man without Game Genie. The damn one-eyed rock monster is a tough SOB. I used to be able to beat him back in the day(early 90's) but... not anymore. I remember the Wily Machine being one hell of an SOB of a mofo.

Offline CJones

« Reply #747 on: March 16, 2020, 02:27:10 PM »
And I in turn give you props Pak for being able to beat Mega Man without Game Genie. The damn one-eyed rock monster is a tough SOB. I used to be able to beat him back in the day(early 90's) but... not anymore. I remember the Wily Machine being one hell of an SOB of a mofo.

Are you not aware of the pause trick? Fire an Elec Beam and pause just as it hits. Repeatedly pause and unpause and it will hit multiple times. Makes the yellow rock monster way easier. Granted, it's abusing a glitch, but against that jackass I think it's justified :P 

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #748 on: March 16, 2020, 02:57:47 PM »
Are you not aware of the pause trick? Fire an Elec Beam and pause just as it hits. Repeatedly pause and unpause and it will hit multiple times. Makes the yellow rock monster way easier. Granted, it's abusing a glitch, but against that jackass I think it's justified :P
I know I've tried it before but I never got it quite right! I think I just keep fucking it up.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #749 on: March 16, 2020, 03:26:33 PM »
A lot of the recent rereleases have disabled that trick, but if you have it booted up on your NES (or an emulator, I assume) it's a nice way to power through a frustrating boss.