Author Topic: Finding something good in something awful....  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Tron

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
Finding something good in something awful....
« on: August 19, 2008, 05:48:42 PM »
Pick a bad TV show. The worse the better.

Now, find something good in it.

I'll say that I thought the old "Buck Rogers" series was a crapfest that just recycled oBSG sound effects and footage, but it had one good thing in it that I must praise.

The ep where they had Buster Crabbe was wonderful and touching.

Old Buster was playing SF heroes in the 30's, where he most famously played flash gordon and buck rogers. He was the original SF star, before captain kirk, luke skywalker or anyone else.

Having him in that ep, and the clever reference to him telling Gil Gerard "Young man, i was doing this before you were born."  basically justified the existence of what was otherwise a crapfest waste of prime time.

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
Re: Finding something good in something awful....
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 06:13:42 PM »
Thanks to the show Star Trek: Voyager, I was able to recognize the guy who played the Johnnycab in Total Recall.  Other than that, there is absolutely nothing worthwhile about the show (and I should know, because I watched it every week as a wee youngster).
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline Tron

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 08:44:51 PM »
Thanks to the show Star Trek: Voyager, I was able to recognize the guy who played the Johnnycab in Total Recall.  Other than that, there is absolutely nothing worthwhile about the show (and I should know, because I watched it every week as a wee youngster).
  Well, before it became "The Jeri Ryan show." voyager had one good ep: it was the one with the homicidal maniac character, mr. Suter, I think, played by, IIRC, brad douriff, who suffered from an uncontrollable urge to commit murder. It was a good ep because it acknowledged even in the 24th century there might still be people born with "bad wiring" and how will a civillized culture deal with them?

I also liked the idea that some people simply could not accept the idea of an uncontrollable homicidal urge or understand it, as when tuvok mind melded with the poor guy.

Offline Keroppi20

• Big Montana
  • I've got compassion running out of my nose, pal!
    • Want to Learn More About Me?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 10:30:42 PM »

Best thing about Voyager is that it inspired this:

(wish I could find a larger pic)

Edit: Ah...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XnfRxbteBOY&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XnfRxbteBOY&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:33:53 PM by Keroppi20 »
I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love. I quit after three seconds.

-Vash

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 09:51:51 AM »
Best thing about Voyager is that it inspired this:

And the episode with Gerrit Graham as the suicidal Q.   But anything with Gerrit Graham is enriched by his presence.