login

Author Topic: Help make this section useful (tips for riffing)  (Read 54804 times)

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
Re: Help make this section useful
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 11:00:52 PM »
Sure, that'd be great. But you can't do a reaction to your own riff if you're the only one riffing, so multiple writers for one "reader" could clash. There's lot of back-and-forth jokes that can't work in a one-person riff.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2298
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2008, 11:48:12 PM »
Just pointing out something that works for me. Even for a solo riff the joke combining part could work.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Indomitus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
  • Hang on, gotta answer my iPOG
    • vox.neoleo.net  (a work in progress)
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 07:14:30 AM »
Yeah, I think that's true in general.  Rifftrax, MST3K and Cinematic Titanic are so consistently great largely because the jokes come from so many different directions, and the best way to get that is to have multiple writers.  As far as how many riffers there are, I think 2-3 is great, more is overkill and solo is very difficult to keep jokes moving (speaking from some experience there).  And there's no issue with multiple writers writing jokes for a single riffer, as long as they or the person building the script bears that in mind and writes the jokes to fit that.
I know that was kind of a back-handed critique of Cinematic Titanic, but watch carefully and you'll see they have a hard time balancing out the jokes across 5 people.  They pull it off, but it's not easy.

And people keep putting forward theories and thoughts on what makes a good joke, but for me it all comes down to one simple rule.  It's the same rule that drove groups like Monty Python and the writers at Best Brains, and it's this:  Make yourself laugh first.  Odds are very good there's somebody else out there that will laugh at the same jokes you do.  If there's a joke that makes you laugh out loud, use it.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 04:41:50 PM »
Rifftrax, MST3K and Cinematic Titanic are so consistently great largely because the jokes come from so many different directions, and the best way to get that is to have multiple writers.
That may be an illusion in this case. Bill said Rifftrax scripts are written in thirds or fourths. Which means you're not hearing jokes from three different people, you're hearing all Mike's, then all Bill's, then all Kevin's, etc. They do a good job making the jokes seem varied, but that's more the performance than the writing. The writing is just good material in general.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 41
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2008, 07:57:23 PM »
After watching a lot of MST3k and Rifftrax, I'm devising a guideline for joke writing:

No reference is too obscure.

Literally speaking, that's probably not true. But for the most part I think it's a good one to go by. If you think, for example, a certain pop culture reference is too obscure and very few people will get the joke, throw it in anyway. The people who WILL get the joke will appreciate the reference that much more.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Indomitus

• Big Montana
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2008, 07:08:30 AM »
I actually dropped one from mine because I thought it was too obscure.  It was a quote from a routine by Otto Waalkes, a German comedian, and it was fully in German.  I figured odds are, maybe one person would recognize it and understand it, and that one person might not find it funny, so I dropped it in favor of a straight up joke.

Offline Invisible NanoGhost

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
  • Just here for a few laughs. I'll take yours.
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2008, 01:38:46 PM »
Rifftrax, MST3K and Cinematic Titanic are so consistently great largely because the jokes come from so many different directions, and the best way to get that is to have multiple writers.
That may be an illusion in this case. Bill said Rifftrax scripts are written in thirds or fourths. Which means you're not hearing jokes from three different people, you're hearing all Mike's, then all Bill's, then all Kevin's, etc.

I'm using my fingers to cross-check my arithmetic, but I'm still pretty sure that is "Three Different People".  Unless you're saying that Bill and Kevin are just puppets run by Mike.  No, nobody would believe in a show based on puppet riffers.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 236
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2008, 03:41:23 PM »
That may be an illusion in this case. Bill said Rifftrax scripts are written in thirds or fourths. Which means you're not hearing jokes from three different people, you're hearing all Mike's, then all Bill's, then all Kevin's, etc.

I'm using my fingers to cross-check my arithmetic, but I'm still pretty sure that is "Three Different People".  Unless you're saying that Bill and Kevin are just puppets run by Mike.  No, nobody would believe in a show based on puppet riffers.

You are forgetting Conor, as well as the now-occasionally-contributing writers Josh, Courtney and Sean.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 53
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2008, 04:17:09 PM »
You are forgetting Conor, as well as the now-occasionally-contributing writers Josh, Courtney and Sean.

is me.

Offline Savantegarde

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 10:10:26 AM »
Any tips on the technical side of creating a sample video.

For those of us who are, ahem, handicapped in those areas? 

Offline poobah103

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 46
  • Sufficient Springs!
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 11:12:34 AM »
It depends on the program you're using. You'll need one that lets you synch a video track with an audio track, and that's something you'll probably have to purchase (there might be one available for free somewhere on the internet, but I don't know about it). We use Sony Vegas,  which was fairly cheap (we nabbed a copy for about $40), and, after a bit of a learning-curve, is pretty easy to use.

To convert DVD's into files that you can upload to an editing program, you'll need a DVD ripper. You can find those on the internet for free, and the one that we use (unfortunately, I can't remember where we got it from, but I believe it's called "DVD Decrypter") is super easy to use.

The Sony Vegas program is really easy to make samples with, because it actually features an option to upload videos directly to YouTube- you just highlight the portion of the track you want to use as the sample and follow the on-screen instructions.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9928
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 11:29:51 AM »
Actually my question along those lines is on how to clip the particular section one wants to use for the sample.

Offline Indomitus

• Big Montana
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2009, 12:39:07 PM »
The Sony Vegas program is really easy to make samples with, because it actually features an option to upload videos directly to YouTube- you just highlight the portion of the track you want to use as the sample and follow the on-screen instructions.
Must be a newer feature, because I don't think mine (v5.0) has that.  Doesn't support HD either.

Actually my question along those lines is on how to clip the particular section one wants to use for the sample.
You'll want a decent multi-track editor.  After that, it can be done multiple ways.  Either you can sync up the whole movie and edit out your sample from that, or you can just pull in that section of the movie and manually sync up your riffs.  The first one takes lots of drive space, and the second one takes lots of time and patience.  (Actually, both take time and patience, but anyway...)  With the second one you could just pull in the part of the movie you want to use, demux the audio from it, pull that audio into Audacity and mix in the riffs, then re-mux it over the video, and Bob's yer uncle, just upload the ducker.
There are quite a few different tools out there for each step in the process, and a fully detailed tutorial is more than I'd be able to write on my break at work (which happens to be now at the moment).

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9928
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 12:41:08 PM »
Must be a newer feature, because I don't think mine (v5.0) has that.  Doesn't support HD either.

You'll want a decent multi-track editor.  After that, it can be done multiple ways.  Either you can sync up the whole movie and edit out your sample from that, or you can just pull in that section of the movie and manually sync up your riffs.  The first one takes lots of drive space, and the second one takes lots of time and patience.  (Actually, both take time and patience, but anyway...)  With the second one you could just pull in the part of the movie you want to use, demux the audio from it, pull that audio into Audacity and mix in the riffs, then re-mux it over the video, and Bob's yer uncle, just upload the ducker.
There are quite a few different tools out there for each step in the process, and a fully detailed tutorial is more than I'd be able to write on my break at work (which happens to be now at the moment).

No, not the audio, I understand how to do the audio, the video, how do I clip a section of the video?

Offline poobah103

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 46
  • Sufficient Springs!
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 02:27:06 PM »

Yeah, we have version 9.0, earlier versions might not have the "upload to YouTube" feature. :-/

No, not the audio, I understand how to do the audio, the video, how do I clip a section of the video?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Is your video already loaded on the computer, or are you working with a DVD? If it's a DVD, you have to convert it into files that can be uploaded to an editor, which requires a DVD ripper. As far as I know, you can't cut video directly from a DVD (but then, I'm not really an expert or anything), you have to convert it first.

If you already have the video uploaded into an editing program, you should be able to cut and edit it the same way you do with audio tracks, the specifics of which will vary depending on what program you're using.

What program(s) are you using to make this iRiff? I don't know much beyond Sony Vegas (we used a little bit of Audacity for our first one, but found it was a lot easier to just use Vegas for all of it), but if you give us some more details on what you're working with, somebody will probably be able to help you.