Author Topic: Help make this section useful (tips for riffing)  (Read 52838 times)

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
Re: Help make this section useful (tips for riffing)
« Reply #270 on: November 28, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »
I was talking with Michael T. Bradley about editing, and it seems we have completely different working styles, which made me consider doing a live stream sometime to show my editing method. Is that something anyone else would be interested in seeing? Or should I just do a private video call?

I might be interested at some point (just for 'learning new stuff' reasons, not for practical use, as I haven't the capacity to finish the iRiff I started so many years ago [a large chunk of my 1931 Frankenstein script still lies dead on the table...  "It's not alive...!! It's not alive!!!"]).

Rather than a live stream where the info would be lost, why not record it and put it on YouTube?
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #271 on: November 29, 2015, 07:20:19 AM »
I was talking with Michael T. Bradley about editing, and it seems we have completely different working styles, which made me consider doing a live stream sometime to show my editing method. Is that something anyone else would be interested in seeing? Or should I just do a private video call?

I might be interested at some point (just for 'learning new stuff' reasons, not for practical use, as I haven't the capacity to finish the iRiff I started so many years ago [a large chunk of my 1931 Frankenstein script still lies dead on the table...  "It's not alive...!! It's not alive!!!"]).

Rather than a live stream where the info would be lost, why not record it and put it on YouTube?

I would probably do both. I would need to use someone else's account, though, since I'm perma-banned for posting riff previews.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #272 on: November 29, 2015, 08:19:16 AM »

I would probably do both. I would need to use someone else's account, though, since I'm perma-banned for posting riff previews.
Check with RVRII.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #273 on: June 11, 2016, 01:21:04 PM »
Well, looks like the end of an era.

I can no longer get my copy of Adobe Audition 3.0 to do what I need it to do, and that had been what I've mainly relied on to record and edit my riffs (with a little help from Audacity and Levelator). With this, I need to find a better option that I can actually afford. I'm not willing to drop several hundred dollars on Sony Vegas, but I need something with a timeline view where I can cut and move audio clips to both audio and video cues. Preferably I need it to handle recording the audio too, but if I have to just record first in Audacity and import it into the new program I'll live with that. Any recommendations? I'm keeping an eye on programs that've popped up as giveaways here (like PowerDirector) but I'm open to just about anything I can try as a free trial and won't be too big a strain on the checkbook if I go with it.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Online fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Humans are superior!
« Reply #274 on: June 11, 2016, 02:43:00 PM »

I can no longer get my copy of Adobe Audition 3.0 to do what I need it to do, and that had been what I've mainly relied on to record and edit my riffs (with a little help from Audacity and Levelator). With this, I need to find a better option that I can actually afford. I'm not willing to drop several hundred dollars on Sony Vegas, but I need something with a timeline view where I can cut and move audio clips to both audio and video cues. Preferably I need it to handle recording the audio too, but if I have to just record first in Audacity and import it into the new program I'll live with that. Any recommendations? I'm keeping an eye on programs that've popped up as giveaways here (like PowerDirector) but I'm open to just about anything I can try as a free trial and won't be too big a strain on the checkbook if I go with it.
I've been using Adobe Premiere Elements (consumer level version of Premiere).  I just use the narrate feature for recording and export the narration track.  The only problem with that is everything you record goes to a wav file and they don't delete when you take them off the timeline so they start to eat up hard disc space if you do a lot of takes.  Sony also has consumer level movie editors that would probably be adequate for riff recording.  Someone also pointed me to a software called Reaper which is an audio editor.  The discount license is only $60 and it's the same software either way.  The commercial license is only if you'll be making more than $20,000 a year from what you make with it (how they'd find out if you're lying to them is beyond me).  I'm going to use the free trial when I make my Amazing Spider-man riff to see if it's any good.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #275 on: June 11, 2016, 07:29:07 PM »

I've been using Adobe Premiere Elements (consumer level version of Premiere).  I just use the narrate feature for recording and export the narration track.  The only problem with that is everything you record goes to a wav file and they don't delete when you take them off the timeline so they start to eat up hard disc space if you do a lot of takes.  Sony also has consumer level movie editors that would probably be adequate for riff recording.  Someone also pointed me to a software called Reaper which is an audio editor.  The discount license is only $60 and it's the same software either way.  The commercial license is only if you'll be making more than $20,000 a year from what you make with it (how they'd find out if you're lying to them is beyond me).  I'm going to use the free trial when I make my Amazing Spider-man riff to see if it's any good.

Thanks. I'll probably give Premiere Elements a try this weekend since it has a free trial and I'm used to Adobe programs.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #276 on: June 13, 2016, 07:29:58 PM »
Tinkered a bit with Premiere Elements, and don't feel like its for me. So far I really like Reaper, though. With the way I tend to record and edit, it feels much more useful. It seems to have all the main features I liked about Audition, while apparently having a lot more options, and it doesn't slow my computer to a crawl when I run it. I can already tell there's going to be a learning curve to get the most out of it, but it'll do the basics the way I want to, I think. Just starting to record and edit the next riff, we'll see how well it works out.

Thanks again for pointing the way fireyf!

gum.co/RFTthing

Online fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Humans are superior!
« Reply #277 on: June 14, 2016, 01:30:45 PM »
You're welcome.  I'm going to be trying that out soon myself.  Premiere is very system intensive so I'm looking forward to giving Reaper a go.