Author Topic: Tra la la, La la la la...  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1008
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Tra la la, La la la la...
« on: August 18, 2008, 05:09:28 PM »
From the BBC, always bringing you the cutting edge of news...

The Banana Splits in TV comeback

The Banana Splits have kept their original "groovy" feel

Children's TV classic The Banana Splits is getting a modern makeover.

Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper and Snorky are to star in new comedy shorts and music videos on the Cartoon Network in the US, and its website, from September.

A series of DVDs, live concerts, music CDs, and online games from the anarchic crew are expected to follow.

"Everything that made The Banana Splits popular in the '60s is back, including the group's terrific humour and music," said Jordan Sollitto, of Warner Bros.

"We take great pride in having carefully updated the look and feel of the original show for today's kids while retaining all of the elements that made the original Banana Splits such a hit."

The Banana Splits came onto the scene in 1968 as hosts of The Banana Splits Adventure Hour, a show created by Hanna-Barbera that featured comedy and music videos.

They are a costumed rock band made up of Fleegle (a dog), Drooper (a lion), Bingo (a gorilla) and Snorky (an elephant) who hang out in their Banana Pad while playing music and telling jokes.

The show's theme song, The Tra La La Song, quickly became a classic.

The new shorts share the same "groovy" look of the original TV series.

"The Banana Splits is a classic that has been entertaining kids for years," said Stuart Snyder, president of Turner Animation, Young Adults and Kids Media.

"We're thrilled to have this new version on Cartoon Network for our kids to enjoy today."

Oooookay. I wasn't born when these guys first aired, but Texas TV stations reran these episodes until the mid 80s, so I did see pretty much the entire run. It was... odd. (It was also part of one of the more bizarre bits of Grant Morrison's run on The Doom Patrol, and that's saying a lot.) This is also the second time that Cartoon Network has tried reviving the show.

Oh, here's the intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2se2I70CJ0

And here's Liz Phair's cover of the theme song, which has Drew Barrymore babbling over parts of it.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49oDGIg2QXY

And here's KLF's Justified and Ancient, just 'cause: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPjggN-KByI

Offline Keroppi20

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
  • I've got compassion running out of my nose, pal!
    • Want to Learn More About Me?
Re: Tra la la, La la la la...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 05:56:14 PM »
This will be interesting, though I am worried about how the "updated" music will sound.... hopefully not like the music videos from the Disney Channel.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/a1gxKLmL8d0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/a1gxKLmL8d0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love. I quit after three seconds.

-Vash

Offline Bairman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 06:06:59 PM »
Ugh.  I hated them as a child.  Come to think of it, I hated most of those humans-in-giant-puffy-costumes type shows.  The only exception that comes to mind is H.R. Pufnstuf.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6581
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 09:09:32 PM »
I don't recall this show. I do, however, remember one with people dressed in giant foam alphabet characters. I remember Super Socks the best, for some reason. Does anybody remember what it was called?

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 02:27:51 PM »
This belongs in the "Raping Your Childhood" thread.

The thing that made the show great were the "Arabian Knights" and "Danger Island" episodes....the Splits were there as "bumpers".

And some of the music was great - "Wait Til Tomorrow", "In New Orleans" and one of the other songs was co-written by Barry White.

But this is just wrong.  The New Monkees all over again.   >:(

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 06:24:14 AM »
The thing that made the show great were the "Arabian Knights" and "Danger Island" episodes....the Splits were there as "bumpers".

Yep, I loved this when they showed it on hmm I'm trying to remeber now if ITV or the BBC showed it. Anyway the thing I most remember about it was The Arabian Knights.

Not sure the rest of the show really contributed all that much.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 11:02:19 AM »
Oh, for fun. I do hope they keep the opening theme where they're all on a giant slide. The one Split's shenanigans as he tries to climb up the slide at the end, only to fall with a "BOMP!" sound effect, is pure comedy gold.

The Banana Splits weren't tops on my must-watch list. I'm with Bairman in that I wasn't a fan of people in big puffy costumes (and for me that included HR Pufnstuf). I was on the early anime bandwagon, between Kimba, Astroboy and Prince Planet.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1653
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 05:12:38 PM »
This belongs in the "Raping Your Childhood" thread.

YEAH! Let's decide it's bad based on a press release!
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 849
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 05:42:26 PM »
This should be the title theme:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 02:03:49 PM »
Ugh.  I hated them as a child.  Come to think of it, I hated most of those humans-in-giant-puffy-costumes type shows.  The only exception that comes to mind is H.R. Pufnstuf.

Great drinking game: Every time the Pufnstuf actor switches from using both hands for gesturing to using one hand to operate the mouth, and vice-versa, take a drink. If you want to get really hammered, take a bonus drink every time Pufnstuf jumps up-and-down to move the mouth while both hands are being used to gesture.

Important Safety Note: Never do this with more than two consecutive episodes of H.R. Pufnstuf, or someone might die from alcohol poisoning.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 02:06:33 PM »

Next time you catch the show, watch the credits for Danger Island. At least some of those were directed by Richard Donner.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 02:20:10 PM »

Next time you catch the show, watch the credits for Danger Island. At least some of those were directed by Richard Donner.
I mainly remember Jan-Michael Vincent.   ;D