login

Author Topic: Fanriffs effecting Rifftrax?  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Fanriffs effecting Rifftrax?
« on: August 12, 2008, 08:33:59 PM »
I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I was wondering if the movies that get the fan riffing treatment effect which movies Rifftrax chooses to do. I love a lot of the fan riffs (big shout out to Quiptracks for Van Helsing and Sky Captain!). Do Mike and the b...guys watch all, none, some of the fan riffs? Would a movie being done by someone else make them less likely to do it themselves?

Invader_quirk

Re: Fanriffs effecting Rifftrax?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 09:26:39 PM »
I can see the issue from both sides. If I were them, I'd try to respect the ones that have been done if I thought they were good. Of course, then they'd have to watch them all to see which are good.

Err.. I should clarify that I haven't seen any bad amateur riffs so far. Not trying to slam anybody...

Oh, and thank you deeply, Darth Geek, for the shout-out.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:28:43 PM by Invader_quirk »

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:30:44 PM »
Well, the Harry Potter riff(s) should be a pretty clear indication that it does really Affect their decision making process in terms of which movies get riffed. At least, it hasn't in the past. Going forward, it might. RiffTrax is making a real effort to promote fan riffing on their site, so I would expect that you won't see much if any crossover happening in the future. Or at least, not with the "staple" groups of fan riffers, whoever they may turn out to be.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 09:54:25 PM »
The guys are aware of the tracks when we tell them about them. (Which is to say, not often, because we don't read every single bit of the forum, nor do we keep tabs on what fans have riffed what).

With that said, it does not affect which ones they do. Mainly because, as I've said, they usually aren't aware of what's been done by whom. I would say that there's always the possibility of some crossover.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 06:04:38 AM »
I'd imagine with the riffs that are already out and the increasing frequency of fan-riffing as time goes on, it will pretty much be impossible for Mike and Co to keep up with all of them.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline N.E.S. TOR

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Oh yeah, it's on!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 02:51:55 PM »
Funny, Quirk (my friend outside rifftrax) didn't you say something in you're forum that fan riffs should'nt be at term because it doesn't use copyrighted material i. e. fanfics or Fan Art?
Nestor vs. Ollie picture created and copyright "Trumpysgirl"

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 04:12:15 PM »
I think crossover could be a good thing.  I like the idea of having a re-authored dvd with multiple riffs to choose from on it.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 05:39:37 AM »
If enough people get into the act it'll get harder and harder NOT to repeat titles.  As long as people aren't stealing eachother jokes it shouldn't be a problem though.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Invader_quirk

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 07:55:03 AM »
Funny, Quirk (my friend outside rifftrax) didn't you say something in you're forum that fan riffs should'nt be at term because it doesn't use copyrighted material i. e. fanfics or Fan Art?

If you'll notice, I didn't call them fan riffs.

Offline CartoonDiablo

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
  • You callin' me racist?
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 05:35:43 PM »
I'd like to think it made the guys branch out a little more with Rifftrax Presents and riff things they normally wouldn't...

But that could just be me.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 05:15:10 AM »
Now if only we could get them to riff Red Dawn... ;)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

anais.jude

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 06:27:10 AM »
i actually have a joke about that in my Die Hard script.....