Author Topic: Who watches Heroes?  (Read 53037 times)

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
Re: Who watches Heroes?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 08:27:20 AM »
I love Heroes.  The first episode kind of sucked, and reminded me a lot of Unbreakable, which I hated, hate, and will continue to hate until the end of my days, but it (the first episode of Heroes) ended on a note that made me want to see the second episode.  I stuck with it, and by the end of the third episode, I was hooked.  It's lightened up a bit in its tone, and is an entirely entertaining, fun show to watch.  I can see why it causes some people to get a bit shirty about it, either in favor of it or against it, but for me it's kind of like how I felt watching Alias:  it's not trying to be "THE GREATEST SHOW EVER MADE," it's just trying to entertain. 

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 10:51:49 AM »
lol - Yeah I /totally/ miss Chairman Kaga.

Watch the American version's chairman...he's a GOON. He asks the same question every episode too =(. To match the old chairman, the Food Network should have enlisted the over-acting talents of Shatner and dressed him up EXACTLY like Kaga.
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 10:59:06 AM »

Watch the American version's chairman...he's a GOON. He asks the same question every episode too =(. To match the old chairman, the Food Network should have enlisted the over-acting talents of Shatner and dressed him up EXACTLY like Kaga.

Ah, fancy yourself an Iron Chef connosseur?

I was a big fan of the Japanese Import. So much fun to watch, especially when the chefs put lots of *literal* sweat into their dishes! Do you remember the episode in which octopus was the main ingredient? I don't think I'd ever be able to eat ice cream flavored with octopus ink  :-X

Though, it was cool to see the freshly cut octopus meat still squirming!!   :o

p.s. Did you ever see that episode of Futurama that parodied Iron Chef?

My friend and I nearly fell out of our seats when the announcer said
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

;D

Offline davo

• Magneto-cent Member
  • are you asking for a challlllenge?!!!!1!1!one!!1!
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 01:05:17 PM »
for me it's kind of like how I felt watching Alias:  it's not trying to be "THE GREATEST SHOW EVER MADE," it's just trying to entertain. 

that's how i feel about smalltown. it's such a guilty pleasure of mine!

Offline Joey the Lemur

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 09:39:12 PM »
Personally, I love it.

Sure, it has some flaws with pacing some of the individual stories, but I think that it deserves all the success and acclaim it has won.

And not to paint everyone who doesn't like the show with the same brush - I understand some people not being hip to super-power stories or out-there dramas and this not being their cup of tea- but I've notied that most of the die-hard "I hate, hate, hate this show" people tend to fall into one of three camps.

1) Haven't even watched an episode - They just saw the advert that mentioned a super-powers or a cheerleader as a main character or heard that it had a lot of plot twists and said "oh this is ripping off smallville/buffy/lost" and started tunning out everyone who said the show as good.
2) The antagonists - These people just have to declare everything that is popular to be crap.  These are the people who refused to see Titanic or Forest Gump because anything that popular has to suck.
3) The die hard geeks - I know quite a few of these folks and they can't stand anything that they can't understand instantly and lord their knowledge of the trivial over others with.  The kind of people who have been the core audience of X-Men comics for the last 30 years.

This last group are the most annoying because they will argue ad nauseum about how they are right and there's no evidence that can refute their claims that the show doesn't make sense.   They are the ones who will complain about how the time-traveler can't seem to change the present with his powers, forgetting that there are things like The Grandfather/Predestination Paradox which would account for this.  (i.e. he can't go back and stop a woman from dying, because if she does not die he'll never go back in time to save her) 

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007, 03:19:57 PM »
ok im about 6 episodes into this show.  I havent watched regular TV shows in about 2 years.  I never usually watch anything on a channel that isnt the scifi, history, cartoon, or comedy channel and have to say i am shocked and am really enjoying it.  Im trapped here in the desert and have no access for real television so i am watching these on dvd, problem is we only have up to episode 11.  I cant wait to get back to the states to buy it and catch up :)

One thing,  the chick with the super alter ego got rooked.  Of all the powers hers is the most unfair, its really more like a handicap.  She is so far my least favorite char.  I dont dislike her but just not my fav.  I am a nerd so my fav is probably hiro  :) 

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2007, 04:21:30 PM »

Did you see the Fox version of Iron Chef American where Shat was Kaga?  It was freakin' hilarious.  Shat was not as great as Kaga but he was much better than the little dork who's on Food Network.  Shatner's Kaga was cheesy but I loved it.  They have Bobby Flay as an Iron Chef too which, to me, is the ultimate slap in the face to the real Iron Chefs. He's a whiney baby and almost killed himself on the original show (ok, I do take this too seriously, I admit it).

http://www.briansbelly.com/ironchef/
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2007, 07:05:05 PM »
   I like the way Food Network pushes its stars into as many shows as possible, like Rachael and Giada appearing on ICA teaming up with Bobby and Mario.   First, you do a show where you're in a studio by yourself, then they do a series where you have an audience, then you do a series where you get to travel and eventually you get to be a judge to choose new people to get shows.

But what does this have to do with Heroes?  I almost didn't start watching this since I just assumed it would get screwed over by the network like all three sci-fi shows on the big 3 networks last season got cancelled, but it's already been picked up for a second season and they say the "end of the world" scenario will be all tied up by the end of this season.  I also appreciate the way they're resting some of these serial shows and running them straight through when they're back.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 07:22:52 PM »
uh i just finished episode 11 and now im screwed :( and addicted

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 09:53:30 PM »
I was a little disappointed by Heroes when I first saw it.  I haven't seen it in a few weeks, so it might picked up.  I think the best new show of this season is Studio 60 on Sunset Strip.  I'm a huge Aaron Sorkin fan (Sportsnight, West Wing) and Studio 60 has a great cast. 

So you actually understand Sportsnight??

sports night is cool.

As for this Heroes show, it doesn't look bad, but I just know what the Soup and promos show, so I have no real opinion... That said it looks suspiciously like the 4400, and as someone else has said Unbreakable

• Compsognathus
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2007, 08:33:20 AM »
well i enjoy it and would recommend it to anyone here.

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2007, 10:26:54 AM »
I'm afraid that with most shows, if I haven't been watching from the very beginning, I tend to lose interest.  It's like coming in in the middle of a really loooooooooooooong movie.  It takes a whole lot more effort than it's worth more often than not.  You have to try and figure out who's with whom and what they've done to someone else.  There has to be some top notch writing to keep my interest, otherwise. From the start I would never remember to watch, usually because I was watching or doing something else.  Generally either watching some anime or MST3K.  The few clips and ads for it didn't help much either.  Like others have said, great premise, but unfortunately, falls a little flat.  In the back of my mind, I have this nagging suspicion that the writers chosen for this show probably had never written a script that had sci-fi elements in it....

Then again I miss 'The Phoenix' from when it aired on ABC.........

• Compsognathus
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2007, 10:43:08 AM »
well when it comes out on dvd rent it.  itll be worth that much and then youll see if your into to it or not, i think youll be pleasently surprised.

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2007, 11:09:34 AM »
Well okay, as long as you're the one making the recommendation, I'll give it a go.....

• Compsognathus
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2007, 11:13:21 AM »
lol why would my recomendation be worth anything lol

or were you being sardonic?