Author Topic: If you could eliminate 1 tv series from history...  (Read 10774 times)

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
Re: If you could eliminate 1 tv series from history...
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2008, 06:57:32 PM »
I want to say The Hills, but it would be a futile effort to eliminate such a show.  Another equally terrible reality show would just spring up in its place.  Hell, we'd still have Keeping Up with the Kardashians.  No, in order to truly kill it, it would be necessary to go right to the source.  I am talking, of course, about The Real World.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline Tron

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2008, 08:59:56 PM »
Just 1? Hmmm....

I'd go with John Edward, so long as I can eliminate the man with the show.

But then we wouldn't have the South Park episode about him, and it's one of my favorites...

A little OT here, but there are people a LOT worse than John Edwards.

How many of them have their own TV shows?

Some of the people running america's medical corporations, pharmaceutical corporations and such are a lot worse than john edwards.

Wow. Do you actually believe a statement that moronic?

Wow, do you REALLY think that some of the people pricing medical care out of the reach of average americans aren't bigger scumbags than a modern day swami?

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2008, 01:57:45 PM »
Just 1? Hmmm....

But then we wouldn't have the South Park episode about him, and it's one of my favorites...

Some of the people running america's medical corporations, pharmaceutical corporations and such are a lot worse than john edwards.

Wow, do you REALLY think that some of the people pricing medical care out of the reach of average americans aren't bigger scumbags than a modern day swami?

You don't know what you're talking about, and therefore might want to stop talking.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Tron

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2008, 02:45:10 PM »
Just 1? Hmmm....

You don't know what you're talking about, and therefore might want to stop talking.

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. The fact you think people who disagree with you shouldn't say what they believe does make you look arrogant and pompous.

Ever think of becoming a moderator on RPG.net? You might fit right in.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2008, 03:41:17 PM »
Barney

:clap:

And while we're at it, Tele Tubbies.

Offline Cthulhu Bob

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2008, 06:19:43 PM »
So many good choices for bad shows, hmmm.

At first I wanted to eliminate the Phil Donahue Show since then all those daytime talk shows would disappear but then I realized that would eliminate Ellen as well and that wouldn't do because she is damn funny and not an arrogant SOB like all the other talk show hosts.

So instead my second choice would be 2 networks that I loathe, Star and E!. I have no wish to learn all the dirt and detailed sordid pasts of the stars of shows and movies I watch. I know I should care that the star of the latest summer blockbuster is a Scientologist or beats puppies, but at the same time should I penalize the rest of the team that made that movie? When Hollywood started up the studio system was very good at hiding the foibles of their stars and people would be able to innocently enjoy all those old movies but when we hit the cynical '70s everything changed. Nobody could just go to a movie and enjoy it for what it was anymore unless it was filled with a cast of unknowns (i.e. Star Wars). There have been far better critiques of the cult of celebrity that we are currently awash in by far more skilled writers so I will leave it at that....

But one more thing, Entertainment News is as oxymoronic as Military Intelligence  ;D.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't.

Always remember... where ever you go, there you are.
-Buckaroo Banzai & Pig Killer

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • How can a Pope be such a hottie?
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2008, 10:45:12 AM »
Just 1? Hmmm....

I mean, he may be a sleaze, but he never forced anyone to believe in hik or give him money, right?

He's more than a sleaze; him, James Van Praagh, Sylvia Browne, et al. really do damage to people. Just take a look at the whole Sylvia/Shawn Hornbeck situation, and think about how these people disrupt the natural grieving cycle with "supernatural knowledge" that's about as deep as a Hallmark card. Just because he doesn't physically force someone to give him money doesn't make him any less of a con man and a monster.

As beenie pointed out, it is Edward, not Edwards, but the spelling error does add a total new level of amusement and creates an entirely different argument.

The difference is that what those people are selling aren't made up fantasies and lies. Medicine works. If you come down with the flu, do you go to a psychic or a doctor?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:49:48 AM by DarthChimay »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2008, 10:50:52 AM »
[He's more than a sleaze; him, James Van Praagh, Sylvia Browne, et al. really do damage to people. Just take a look at the whole Sylvia/Shawn Hornbeck situation, and think about how these people disrupt the natural grieving cycle with "supernatural knowledge" that's about as deep as a Hallmark card. Just because he doesn't physically force someone to give him money doesn't make him any less of a con man and a monster. All of them sit there and make up shit just to get people to give them money.

Yeah, I saw a Sylvia Brown book for children in Borders a while back, frankly any parent who gives that to a child who is greiving the loss of a pet (which is what it was about) should be prosecuted for child abuse.

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2008, 11:16:35 AM »
[He's more than a sleaze; him, James Van Praagh, Sylvia Browne, et al. really do damage to people. Just take a look at the whole Sylvia/Shawn Hornbeck situation, and think about how these people disrupt the natural grieving cycle with "supernatural knowledge" that's about as deep as a Hallmark card. Just because he doesn't physically force someone to give him money doesn't make him any less of a con man and a monster. All of them sit there and make up shit just to get people to give them money.

Yeah, I saw a Sylvia Brown book for children in Borders a while back, frankly any parent who gives that to a child who is greiving the loss of a pet (which is what it was about) should be prosecuted for child abuse.

Sylvia should do the type of children's story she's born for... one where she plays an evil harpy. Gods knows she looks like one.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2008, 01:01:34 PM »
This is the book:

Horrible, though the amazon page is amusing to read as many of the one star reviews come from fans of Browne who didn't realise it was a children's book.  :D

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2008, 01:12:26 PM »
This is the book:

Horrible, though the amazon page is amusing to read as many of the one star reviews come from fans of Browne who didn't realise it was a children's book.  :D

I smell Photoshop goodness. Also, what on earth is that panda doing to that cat?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2008, 01:15:01 PM »
The cat looks deeply afeared. I fancy it's an image from Panda Heaven and Siamese Hell.

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2008, 02:52:54 PM »
The cat looks deeply afeared. I fancy it's an image from Panda Heaven and Siamese Hell.

I'd love to see her talk about that on Montel.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2008, 06:19:34 PM »
Can we get rid of The Hole?

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2008, 06:54:27 PM »
Can we get rid of The Hole?

That movie where Kiera Knightley bares her ta-tas?!?!?!? NEVER!!!!!!