Author Topic: Time, howling, withering! - Dark Shadows  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
Re: Time, howling, withering! - Dark Shadows
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 01:17:07 PM »
Okay....trying to look at this Burton movie dispassionately....and don't think I can do it.  I still have his version of Planet of the Apes stuck in my craw....

The original series - started out as a governess in a creepy mansion of a family with nasty secrets and was bombing.  They added a tragic vampire figure (Mid-1800: Barnabas Collins is in love with Josette Dupree but is loved by a witch named Angelique whom he spurns.  Angelique sends a bat to turn him into a vampire. Josette finds out and throws herself off a cliff.  Barnabas' father finds out what he is but can't bring himself to kill him so he chains him in the family crypt.  In 1966, groundskeeper for the Collins is looking for lost jewels and opens the coffin) and a cult is born.

They make a movie that keeps part of that and then plays to the masses.  Works okay.  You can see the whole thing on YouTube in 12 parts (can't be embedded).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lGtZWdet-E

But the whole thing about the orginal was that it took it's attitude toward most of it's monsterous characters from the old Universal monster movies.  They were sympathetic for the most part.  Frankenstein was basically an abandoned child. Larry Talbot didn't want to be a wolf and kill people. Imhotep's true love died and he ended up buried alive to try to bring her back to life and now wants to get her back again.   Even Lugosi's Dracula says with a touch of envy that to be truly dead must be glorious.

Barnabas' whole thing was that he didn't want to be a vampire.  And then, when Josette's look-a-like/reincarnation shows up in the new governess, Maggie Evens, he tries to be cured so she could love him.  Quentin didn't want to be a werewolf, Adam (who was the show's version of Frankenstein) just wanted to be a normal person, not the superman his creator wanted.  And there was that demon that the couple in the antique store had to raise that was supposed to take Caroline Collins as a bride and then destroy mankind...only he fell in love with Caroline and refused to do it so they had to go on the run from the cult that served the "father" of the demon.....

(this was some fun shit when you were seven or eight and watching on school and summer holidays....  ;))

The remake with Ben Cross however was starting more towards what we have now in vampire and werewolf pictures like Underworld - where there might be some throwaway line like "It's awful to live like this" but the whole picture's attitude is one of "Hey, isn't this cool!!!!"

I'm afraid that Burton's film is going to go that direction and therefore be labeled just another Underworld/Blade/whatever....

And that's a shame because - I was looking at the msg boards on imdb about this and people were talking about casting...and one was discussing who would play Quentin Collins if he were included.

Quentin was the family's version of Billy Pilgrim - he got unstuck in time a lot.  He got thrown forward into 1969, was all upset that his wife and children were dead and buried and he couldn' t go back so he started messing up, pissed somebody off and ended up being cursed a werewolf. And there was a lot of other stuff...he was a tragic figure in the show because he lost people he loved more than most.

Thing is if they do the orignal Quentin I know exactly who I'd want to play him (don't give me any grief, Tripe/Nixon  :-*) - Craig Bierko:

He's not a David Selby look-a-like:

But I think he's got the right look for the part and he's a damn good actor.  If they're going the original tragic character version.  Plus he's well over six foot - he'd make a great werewolf.

But if they're going to go the "ain't it cool" route with this - not that Bierko couldn't do that - but I don't see that movie succeeding and why sign on to a sinking ship?

Just me rambling.....

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 01:24:30 PM »
Thing is if they do the orignal Quentin I know exactly who I'd want to play him (don't give me any grief, Tripe/Nixon  :-*) - Craig Bierko:

Hey, I just know him as Lister US, for all I know he might be perfectly adequate  ;)

Anyway time to go to the gym I'll ruminate on the rest of your post and give some thoughts later :)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 01:32:30 PM »
Okay....trying to look at this Burton movie dispassionately....and don't think I can do it.  I still have his version of Planet of the Apes stuck in my craw....

The original series - started out as a governess in a creepy mansion of a family with nasty secrets and was bombing.  They added a tragic vampire figure (Mid-1800: Barnabas Collins is in love with Josette Dupree but is loved by a witch named Angelique whom he spurns.  Angelique sends a bat to turn him into a vampire. Josette finds out and throws herself off a cliff.  Barnabas' father finds out what he is but can't bring himself to kill him so he chains him in the family crypt.  In 1966, groundskeeper for the Collins is looking for lost jewels and opens the coffin) and a cult is born.

They make a movie that keeps part of that and then plays to the masses.  Works okay.  You can see the whole thing on YouTube in 12 parts (can't be embedded).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lGtZWdet-E

But the whole thing about the orginal was that it took it's attitude toward most of it's monsterous characters from the old Universal monster movies.  They were sympathetic for the most part.  Frankenstein was basically an abandoned child. Larry Talbot didn't want to be a wolf and kill people. Imhotep's true love died and he ended up buried alive to try to bring her back to life and now wants to get her back again.   Even Lugosi's Dracula says with a touch of envy that to be truly dead must be glorious.

Barnabas' whole thing was that he didn't want to be a vampire.  And then, when Josette's look-a-like/reincarnation shows up in the new governess, Maggie Evens, he tries to be cured so she could love him.  Quentin didn't want to be a werewolf, Adam (who was the show's version of Frankenstein) just wanted to be a normal person, not the superman his creator wanted.  And there was that demon that the couple in the antique store had to raise that was supposed to take Caroline Collins as a bride and then destroy mankind...only he fell in love with Caroline and refused to do it so they had to go on the run from the cult that served the "father" of the demon.....

(this was some fun shit when you were seven or eight and watching on school and summer holidays....  ;))

The remake with Ben Cross however was starting more towards what we have now in vampire and werewolf pictures like Underworld - where there might be some throwaway line like "It's awful to live like this" but the whole picture's attitude is one of "Hey, isn't this cool!!!!"

I'm afraid that Burton's film is going to go that direction and therefore be labeled just another Underworld/Blade/whatever....

And that's a shame because - I was looking at the msg boards on imdb about this and people were talking about casting...and one was discussing who would play Quentin Collins if he were included.

Quentin was the family's version of Billy Pilgrim - he got unstuck in time a lot.  He got thrown forward into 1969, was all upset that his wife and children were dead and buried and he couldn' t go back so he started messing up, pissed somebody off and ended up being cursed a werewolf. And there was a lot of other stuff...he was a tragic figure in the show because he lost people he loved more than most.

He's not a David Selby look-a-like:

But I think he's got the right look for the part and he's a damn good actor.  If they're going the original tragic character version.  Plus he's well over six foot - he'd make a great werewolf.

But if they're going to go the "ain't it cool" route with this - not that Bierko couldn't do that - but I don't see that movie succeeding and why sign on to a sinking ship?

Just me rambling.....

Wow, post of the year!

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 08:45:52 AM »
Wow, post of the year!

Really?  Thought I'd get a lot of  ::)

:D

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 09:08:10 AM »
Should we resurrect this thread now that the Johnny Depp movie is confirmed?

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 619
  • Riff Super Monsters
Dark Shadows (the old one)
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 10:06:58 PM »
back in the day when vampires and werewolf's where cool and ghost zombies witches  and traveling through time was fun to watch.

any one remember this show.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
Re: Dark Shadows (the old one)
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 11:57:20 PM »
Absolutely....

There's an old thread about it here somewhere.

(PS - Did you see the interview with Jerry Lacy in this month's - I think - Fangoria?  The one with the feature about Piranha 3-D)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 11:59:36 PM by Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Dark Shadows (the old one)
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 04:42:33 AM »
any one remember this show.
Why yes. ;)

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan