Author Topic: CW President Dawn Ostroff Must Be Fired!!!  (Read 4230 times)

Offline TMC1982

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
CW President Dawn Ostroff Must Be Fired!!!
« on: August 02, 2008, 11:50:36 PM »
The evidence against Ms. Ostroff:
  • She has no clue how to reach her target audience at all. Instead, she keeps trying to reproduce pretty much the same shows that have already been tried and failed. For example, tasteless reality shows and teen dramas like "Gossip Girl" (it is popular among young teens and preteens but drastically misses the mark for the target audience, adults 18-49) that don't bring in anywhere near the target ratings the network needs to stay afloat. And yet, she still ventures to pick up more teen dramas and more reality shows instead of trying something a little more creative and fresh.

She spends all of her network's money and energy promoting a show ("Gossip Girl") that doesn't even bring in sufficient ratings in one of the least competitive slots while ignoring the few quality shows the network does offer.

She has spread the network too thin and alienated a large portion of the network's target audiences by focusing only on women in the 18-49 age group instead the audience as a whole.

She allowed "SmackDown!" to walk even though it has continuously brought in the highest ratings on the network. And in so doing, lost a good portion of the male audience that might otherwise have watched the other shows on the network if there was sufficient promotion for them.

She's managed to lose 30% of her target audience in under 2 years. Even more damning, she lost 28% of her target audience this year!! And this was not caused by the strike. She was losing over 20% of that audience BEFORE the strike.

If or when the CW goes under, I'm going to point blame first and foremost to Dawn Ostroff. It's not really surprising that she wants the CW to cater towards the 18-34 female demographic because before she went to UPN (one of the CW's predecessors), she was the Executive Vice President for Lifetime. Catering mostly to women is alright if you're dealing with a niche cable network like Lifetime, WE, or Oxygen. But with the CW, you're now dealing with a national, over-the-air broadcast television network. Instead of wanting to build their audience, Ostroff's mentality seems to be, that the CW should narrow and restrict the target audience.

Besides "SmackDown!", she also had "Reba" canceled even though it was the highest rated sitcom on the WB at the time of the merger. But since "Reba" didn't call into Ostroff's "desired target demographic", that show had the go. Another bad move that she made was canceling "Everwood", yet bringing "7th Heaven" back for I believe, an 11th season, only to cancel it again. To make matters worse, she's managed to alienate the CW's potential urban audience (that UPN had previously catered towards) by canceling "Girlfriends" and moving "Everybody Hates Chris" all over the schedule (it will be in the "Friday Night Death Slot" come the 2008-09 season, in place of "SmackDown!").

Dawn Ostroff in my estimation, is engaging in reverse sexism with her stance that she doesn't want "SmackDown!" on her network because it appeals too much to men. Frankly, I strongly believe that she'll only pump up shows (i.e. give them the most promotional time) that she personally likes like "Gossip Girl" or "America's Next Top Model". That's why virtually every other show on the CW is a near duplicate of those particular show's formula. How else can you explain them trying to recreate "Beverly Hills 90210" (to join "Gossip Girl" in the "pretty, rich, white kids w/ problems" pack)? She's more concerned with who watches their network than how many people watch her network.

Dawn Ostroff is really no different than Jamie Kellner, when he ordered that WCW's programming be kicked off of TBS/TNT just as Eric Bischoff and his group of investors were about to purchase the company back in 2001. Both apparently believe that you lack intelligence if you watch pro wrestling. It's kind of ironic considering that Ostroff wants to peddle a show just as low brow (if you've, at the very least, seen the racy "OMFG" ads), if not more, like "Gossip Girl".

Dawn Ostroff to me (to use a pro wrestling analogy), reminds me of one of those bookers/promoters who are more skilled a running a fringe, regional promotion, than something of more national scope. Think ECW when it was on TNN, the AWA when it was on ESPN, or the early years of WCW (after Turner Broadcasting bought Jim Crockett Promotions), when they had Ole Anderson and Dusty Rhodes doing to booking.

Doctor Who?

Re: CW President Dawn Ostroff Must Be Fired!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 07:16:10 AM »
Who watches the CW,UPN,or the WB any way?

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 07:35:34 AM »

How else can I watch "Reaper"?

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 07:48:57 AM »

Check to see if your satellite provider picks up any Canadian stations. Global in particular is the station that broadcasts Reaper in Kanuckistan. I wouldn't watch CW if you held a gun to my head. :P
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline esoobaC .T bocaJ

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
  • Jolly Snowflake day!!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 07:54:33 AM »

Check to see if your satellite provider picks up any Canadian stations. Global in particular is the station that broadcasts Reaper in Kanuckistan. I wouldn't watch CW if you held a gun to my head. :P

some people can't get the kanuckistanian channels, so all we have is the CW and the internet for our Reaper options
flesyht etah tsum uoy ,flesyht evas oT

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 08:04:18 AM »
Well, the internet works fine for me, but a lot of people around here get antsy or plain old outraged when I suggest it as a viable medium to obtain entertainment, so I usually don't bother to suggest it anymore. :)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

anais.jude

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 08:36:42 AM »
How dare you people suggest the internet! What about all the Tivos? They need love too.  :D

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 09:35:24 AM »
How dare you people suggest the internet! What about all the Tivos? They need love too.  :D

They also do not exist in Canada. It's a US only service.

MontyServo

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 10:30:35 AM »
Unless you are a stockholder in CW (or it's parent company, I guess), I don't see why anyone would care.

Too much crap on TV as it is.  One less network isn't gonna mean jack squat in the end.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 10:41:22 AM »

No Tivo service in Canada?   But you have a Candian PVR service, right?

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 02:17:05 PM »

No Tivo service in Canada?   But you have a Candian PVR service, right?

Both Canadian satellite providers have DVR boxes that you can pay some exhorbitant extra fee for when you sign up, and Rogers (the main cable provider out east - I don't know anything about out west) has the whole "pause and rewind live television" thing through their DVR service too. But there is nothing like TiVo which will actually record things for you without you having to tell it to. All the stuff in Canada just screen-captures whatever you are currently watching (and if you pop open the satellite menu, it records that, too - it's not recording from the raw satellite feed, it records what is actually being shown on your screen). I think you can set the boxes to record a show that you aren't actively watching, but if you are doing that you can't watch anything on that TV - our providers only allow one channel stream per device.

So, yeah... INTERNET. :)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 02:28:02 PM »
OMG, we must save Canada.............

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 07:29:04 AM »

Nah, we're cool. The RCMP actually have a brain amongst them. They said in a press release earlier this year that they have no intention of policing individual acts of intellectual property piracy, because the laws "are not intended to stop individual people from stealing media, they are intended to prevent corporate fraud." So they only intend to go after companies that are stealing from each other on a widescale level, and don't really give a crap if some grandma or 12 year old girl downloads a copy of a Metallica song. They said it was ridiculous, and too hard to watchdog it all anyway, so they just weren't going to.

You gotta respect that kind of honesty. :D

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 08:37:28 AM »

Nah, we're cool. The RCMP actually have a brain amongst them. They said in a press release earlier this year that they have no intention of policing individual acts of intellectual property piracy, because the laws "are not intended to stop individual people from stealing media, they are intended to prevent corporate fraud." So they only intend to go after companies that are stealing from each other on a widescale level, and don't really give a crap if some grandma or 12 year old girl downloads a copy of a Metallica song. They said it was ridiculous, and too hard to watchdog it all anyway, so they just weren't going to.

You gotta respect that kind of honesty. :D

I knew that any country that gave us Rush must be alright.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 08:44:46 AM »
You can keep Rush, just give us back Alex Trebek.  :angry: