login

Author Topic: Great Miniseries-es  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Re: Great Miniseries-es
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 07:32:35 AM »
In the book, it's mentioned toward the end that someone is trying to get the nearby TV station operational again so that old videos of movies and TV can be aired.  The book was written in the early 90s, so DVDs weren't around.  But I fantasize about being a survivor in a catastrophe like that today, and then raiding warehouses and electronics stores to get tons of programs.  You really could create several TV stations based around the offerings out there on DVD now.

I assume you meant that the Stand was set in the early 90s.... (that is only the uncut/expanded edition that came out in 1990. Originally the book was set in 1985 when it was first published in 1979).

Like most of the King mini-series the first parts are really good then they taper off. I loved the first night of IT with the kids. The second night sucked (with the adults).

Yet I never read the book until 1999.  So how odd is that; three different progressively later dates, all of which are the not too distant past.

What about the Langoliers?  Was that a mini series or just a movie?  It was certainly a lot shorter than The Stand or It and could have stood as a solo movie without much compression.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 08:08:27 AM »
"Langoliers" was a movie.  "Tommyknockers" was a mini-series.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 01:13:29 AM »

Langoliers has got to be a miniseries, it was two parts on tv right, nto theatres?

i kinda like langoliers despite the dated effects.  it was awesome when i was a kid and ive got it on dvd nowadays.

It has a great first half and then kinda tapers of but i like it as well.  the stand is my favorite king miniseries though.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 02:01:07 AM »
Looks like my list has mostly been covered:

John Adams
Band of Brothers
From the Earth to The Moon (the episode on the building of the LEM is my favorite)
Dune

I thought The Stand was average, but there's no way it could compare to the book, would need to be 10 hours long...

The Shining 2 part series was above average, could have been better maybe if done for HBO instead of for basic cable, could have been a little more R rated like many parts of the book.

There was a 2 or 3 part (4+ hour) version of Moby Dick a long while back, I thought that was pretty good.  Have to be careful getting it on DVD, there's a cut down 90 minute version as well as the full 145 minute one.

Of course Battlestar Galactica, twice.  I liked the way the original started out, and loved the re-imagining that started out as a mini-series.   Maybe I'm remember wrong, I thought the original started out as a mini-series then moved to series, but maybe that was later that they edited the first few hours into a movie...

That's about all I can think of for dramatic stuff. 

There's some great documentary style ones:

When We Left Earth
Planet Earth
All those Ken Burns ones....

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 05:44:02 AM »
Did anybody watch The Company a couple of years ago? It was a very short mini series (3 or 4 installments) starring Michael Keaton and Chris O'Donnell but I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Yeah that wasn't too bad.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 07:39:58 AM »

Langoliers has got to be a miniseries, it was two parts on tv right, nto theatres?
You're right.  It was 4 hours - 2 hours a night.

Could have sworn it was all on in one night.