Author Topic: VOD Divx Files :(  (Read 1780 times)

Offline thesciphishow

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
VOD Divx Files :(
« on: July 28, 2008, 03:05:27 PM »
Hi all,

I bought the Missle to the Moon VOD file the other day. I have to say for $12.99 i'm pretty disappointed with it.

The riff is awesome, but the awesomeness was tainted by the DRM that is on it. I understand why it would be on the rental version of the file and that makes sense, but why on the full price version ?

I have a portable media player that plays DivX files without any difficulty at all, but it is basically a USB drive with TV out and media player facilitates. It is great but the file wont work with it because it is not DivX certified.

Also, my main TV that has a computer plugged into it doesn't normally have internet access (I end up having to run a cable from the other room which is a pain) so it can't auth the file, and I turn it on and off so it isn't really practical to leave the player open.

I love the products you guys put out and will continue to buy them, but I just thought I should register my dislike of the VOD stuff and let you know that I wont be buying any more of the VOD versions of the riffs that have the DRM on them as it makes the whole thing to much of a pain in the ass to use.

Jason

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 241
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Re: VOD Divx Files :(
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 05:09:52 PM »
We have addressed this issue I think, a hundred times on the forum now. A simple search will bring up some answers :) But to summarize:

We know the DRM sucks - it is a by-product of using DivX to host and serve our large, feature-length content.

However.

In the very near future we are ditching DivX and moving to completely DRM-free. So, if you've purchased that product, then we will be able to get you the DRM-Free files when they come out, and they will be added to your account automagically.

Offline thesciphishow

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 05:24:49 PM »
Thanks, that is good to know.

Sorry for rehashing it  :(

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 06:54:51 PM »
No prob :)

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 09:29:43 PM »
Seriously...you guys have the best customer service known to man. I mean we've got a bunch of awesome admins surfing the forums answering our questions (ridiculously fast).

And you guys give us DRM free files. You guys rock, seriously. I've really wanted to buy some of the earliest riffs like Little Shop of Horrors, and with them being DRM free soon, I will definitely be getting them soon.

Whenever you guys are having a rough day at the office...just remember, you have a huge fan base that says you are awesome.

Offline thesciphishow

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 04:18:03 PM »
I would agree with that. I love your work, it is awesome and i'm glad you are moving away from the DRM stuff.

Offline WallyWaffles

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 11:28:20 AM »
So this topic hasn't been touched in 9 years, but several older items in the RiffTrax catalog are still only available in the DivX format, some of which require relatively "newer" codecs in order to decode the video stream.  These codecs don't seem to be available in stand-alone form and require the installation of the official DivX Player.  I swore off the DivX Player a few years ago when it turned into hijackware, so I really don't want to reinstall it to watch these videos.

Is the rest of the RiffTrax catalog going to get a modern format update?  Will it expedite the process if I provide a list of the items I know need treatment?
~ Region locking is EVIL!  Hack your DVD-player today! ~

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 10:10:55 PM »
@WallyWaffles: You know, this is on my todo list since... well, a couple of years now. I'm going to take a look at this seriously this coming week.

If you have a list, that'd be great - but I can generate one easily. Just curious if you had any that you think should get done at a higher priority :) Anyway - thanks for the nudge. This update is long overdue. I'll post back here once it's done.