login

Author Topic: War of the Worlds Riff  (Read 4589 times)

Offline thesciphishow

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
War of the Worlds Riff
« on: July 28, 2008, 02:36:47 PM »
Hi all,

A couple of my friends and I want to give making a fan riff a go and are going to give the Tom Cruise "epic" War of the Worlds a go.

Would anybody be interested in contributing gags to the film ? I can provide you with a subtitle file and instructions for adding the time stamp to a divx file in virtualdub mod if you like.

Note, we are using the PAL version as we are in Australia. If people are interested though, there are some simple steps in virtualdub for converting from NTSC to PAL and vice versa as well. I'll post instructions for all of this if people are interested in helping write the script.

Apparently one of my friends doens't like jokes about Dakota Fanning becoming the new Mrs Tom Cruise when she gets a bit older and Katie Holmes gets past her expiration date. So i've already tried it and got in trouble ;)

But there is still lots of room for xenu, scientology, engram and probe jokes :D

Jason

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: War of the Worlds Riff
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 02:46:29 PM »
Shall I index this under thesciphishow's riffs? Or do you and your friends have a different name for your group?  :)

Offline thesciphishow

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 02:59:42 PM »
We don't really have a name yet, so feel free to mark it that way for now.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 03:11:17 PM »
And it's done :)

Offline thesciphishow

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 03:34:57 PM »
Awesome, thanks.

If people want to submit riffs please just use the standard template that is floating around in excel. That would be great :)

Jason

Offline Gadfly

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 04:00:58 AM »
Awesome, thanks.

If people want to submit riffs please just use the standard template that is floating around in excel. That would be great :)

Jason

I would be interested in submitting riffs.  I actually own the DVD this time!  However, I'm in the USA (which I believe is the best and freest nation on earth, for any NSA personnel who may be monitoring this) and so I presume I'm working with NTSC.  I looked up the virtualdub conversion process that was mentioned, but shouldn't there be a simpler way?  I mean, if we're working with Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, shouldn't there be a simple conversion formula somewhere that can be applied so that if we're at x number of seconds from the start of a movie on NTSC, it could tell us the approximate second count that should be in PAL?  (And vice versa, for that matter?)

Gadfly

Offline thesciphishow

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 05:48:16 AM »
I'm sure there is. I don't know what it is though  ???

Worst case, I don't mind doing the conversion to NTSC to find the riff points.

Jason

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 06:09:24 AM »
The sticking point is frame rate right?

29.5 for NTSC and 25 for PAL

So a for every minute of NTSC there will be 1770 frames

Which means every minute of NTSC = 70.8 seconds of PAL.

Anyone fancy using that info to make a spreadsheet? *ahem*Chaos*ahem*

edit: is that right? is a 90 NTSC movie actually about 7 minutes longer in PAL?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 11:03:51 AM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 07:36:14 PM »
The sticking point is frame rate right?

29.5 for NTSC and 25 for PAL

So a for every minute of NTSC there will be 1770 frames

Which means every minute of NTSC = 70.8 seconds of PAL.

Anyone fancy using that info to make a spreadsheet? *ahem*Chaos*ahem*

edit: is that right? is a 90 NTSC movie actually about 7 minutes longer in PAL?

Your math is indeed a bit off. NTSC is not 29.5 frame, it is actually 29.97 frames per second. PAL is exactly 25 frames per second.

So in every minute of NTSC footage you will have 1,798.2 frames of film, and for every minute in PAL footage you will have 1,500 frames of film. There is no difference in the "actual" time, just the framerate. The length in minutes and seconds is the same (assuming your playback device adjusts for regional framerate), it is just the number of frames that are displayed that is off (and therefore, any timestamp or sound queue that is based on the number of frames will not line up properly).

The out-of-synch issues between NTSC and PAL copies occur, from what I understand, because whatever device you use to play the PAL copy of the movie doesn't actually RUN at NTSC framerate, it just displays the PAL frames at the speed it would normally display the NTSC ones, causing drift. In this scenario, viewing a PAL DVD running at NTSC speed, it will only actually take 50.05 seconds to get through a minute's worth of film (9.95 seconds of drift per minute).

SO... to make a very long-winded story short, in order to convert an NTSC timestamp to an equivalent PAL timestamp, you divide the NTSC timestamp by 1.1988. If on the other hand you are writing a script using a PAL copy of the DVD to be recorded as an NTSC mp3 performance, you would MULTIPLY the PAL timestamp by 1.1988 instead. 1.1988 is the magic number. You may still end up being SLIGHTLY off-queue during the actual performance using a conversion formula like this (because Excel will round to the nearest second), but you'll never be more than half a second off and the riffer / script editor should be checking the timestamps as they are going through a test run of the movie anyway to make minor adjustments to the queue timestamps as needed.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline thesciphishow

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 02:02:51 AM »
If you want to convert the film, I use virtual dub and make use of the guide at

http://www.jakeludington.com/dvd_hacks/20061125_convert_pal_to_ntsc_with_virtualdubmod.html

The is for pal to ntsc, but i'm pretty sure going 1/x for the different values should go the other way.

You can use

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/subtitle_tools/srt_to_ssa_converter.cfm

to convert the srt file (grab the one for League of extraordinary gentleman) and to an SSA file that the virtualdubmod subtitler plugin uses.

A guide on how to add it and where to get the subtitler from can be found at

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic272736.html

Easy :D

Jason

Offline CartoonDiablo

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • You callin' me racist?
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 05:40:03 PM »
I have NTSC but yeah I might throw in some riffs.

edit: gramerz
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 06:00:50 PM by CartoonDiablo »

Offline thesciphishow

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 08:09:37 PM »
Awesome :) Anybody on NTSC, please feel free to submit the riffs and it will be ok if you use the NTSC times. I'm happy to do the work to convert it.

Jason

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 02:58:13 AM »
Do you have a deadline in mind?

Offline thesciphishow

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 03:47:09 AM »
Sort of. I don't have a firm one yet, but i'm happy to accept any riffs, even if it is just a one liner.

Probably aim to have the project done in the next two or three months. I've got a few other things I need to do as well that are unrelated.

Jason

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 07:52:56 PM »
I meant a deadline for submitting jokes, not for when you'd have it finished.